This post contains affiliate links. Please see our full disclosure for more information.
Ways to prepare your child for a new baby
1. Read books.
2. Show your child their baby book.
3. Watch baby videos on YouTube.
- newborn babies crying
- how to change a newborn diaper
- how to breastfeed a newborn
- giving a newborn a bath
4. Explain that it’s okay to feel jealous sometimes.
5. Role play with your child ahead of time.
6. Be realistic.
7. Take the hospital tour.
Recommended reading: 6 Tips for a Gentle Cesarean: Practical Advice for Achieving the Birth You Want.
8. Rinse and repeat.
Consistency is key. Just doing the things on this list once simply isn’t enough. You must repeat them over and over.
We must have looked at my daughter’s baby book a hundred times or more. I have that Dr. Sears book memorized, we’ve read it so many times.