Although a growing number of new moms are nursing their newborn babies, sometimes it’s hard to find breastfeeding support.
That’s why I’ve prepared more than 50 funny and motivational breastfeeding quotes to inspire you to keep going when you feel like quitting.
From poor milk supply to plugged milk ducts, nursing is no walk in the park.
But there are benefits too, like postpartum weight loss and knowing that your breastfed baby is getting the best possible nutrition.
Read on to get inspired by these witty breastfeeding quotes!
Breastfeeding Quotes To Inspire Breastfeeding Moms
These inspirational quotes about breastfeeding will make you feel like a superwoman!
1. “Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don’t decide how much and how deeply to love. You respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want.” – Marni Jackson
2. “Mothers and babies form an inseparable biological and social unit; the health and nutrition of one group cannot be divorced from the health and nutrition of the other.” – World Health Organization
3. “Mother’s milk, time-tested for millions of years, is the best nutrient for babies because it is nature’s perfect food.” – Robert S. Mendelsohn
4. “Breastfeeding reminds us of the universal truth of abundance; the more we give out, the more we are filled up, and that divine nourishment – the source from which we all draw is, like a mother’s breast, ever full and ever flowing.” – Sarah Buckley
5. “I feel like a milkmaid, but it is worth it.” – Miranda Kerr
6. “All I ever heard was everyone bi*ch about [breastfeeding], nobody ever said ‘You are not going to believe how emotional this is.'” – Jennifer Garner
7. “The whole human world is born from the womb of mothers, and if we can’t make the motherly act of breastfeeding free from stigma in such a world, then it’s an insult to our very existence as a species.” – Abhijit Naskar
8. “We all have nipples. I don’t care who I offend; my baby wants to eat.” – Selma Blair
9. “Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day. The reality is that almost all women can breastfeed, have enough milk for their babies and learn how to overcome problems both large and small. It is almost always simply a matter of practical knowledge and not a question of good luck.” – La Leche League
10. “I see my body as an instrument, rather than an ornament.” – Alanis Morissette
11. “Nursing does not diminish the beauty of a woman’s breasts; it enhances their charm by making them look lived in and happy.” – Robert A. Heinlein
12. “Breastmilk is love turned into food. It takes someone special to share that love.” – Human Milk 4 Human Babies
13. “The benefits to the mother of immediate breastfeeding are innumerable, not the least of which after the weariness of labor and birth is the emotional gratification, the feeling of strength, the composure, and the sense of fulfillment that comes with the handling and suckling of the baby.” – Ashley Montague
14. “A baby nursing at a mother’s breast is an undeniable affirmation of our rootedness in nature.” – David Suzuki
15. “The natural power of breastfeeding is one of the greatest wonders of the world. It is about real love. It is about caring and celebrating the wondrous joy of nurturing a new life. It is about enjoying being a woman.” – Anwar Fazal
16. “Nursing gives you superhuman powers. How else could I be doing all this when I’m usually a sleepaholic?” – Gwen Stefani
17. “A newborn has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three.” – Dr. Grantly Dick-Read
18. “My birth instructor said this… ‘The breast is like a muscle you haven’t used yet. Remember taking up a new sport?’ she asked… ‘Remember how much the new set of muscles you used surprised you by aching so much?’ ‘Well,’ she said, ‘that’s what it’s like to use your breasts, for the very first time, for the purpose they have been awaiting all your life.'” – Julia Glass
19. “When we trust the makers of baby formula more than we do our own ability to nourish our babies, we lose a chance to claim an aspect of our power as women. Thinking that baby formula is as good as breast milk is believing that thirty years of technology is superior to three million years of nature’s evolution. Countless women have regained trust in their bodies through nursing their children, even if they weren’t sure at first that they could do it. It is an act of female power, and I think of it as feminism in its purest form.” – Christine Northrup
20. “The moment she had laid the child to the breast both became perfectly calm.” – Isak Dinesen
21. “If a multinational company developed a product that was a nutritionally balanced and delicious food, a wonder drug that both prevented and treated disease, cost almost nothing to produce and could be delivered in quantities controlled by the consumers’ needs, the very announcement of their find would send their shares rocketing to the top of the stock market. The scientists who developed the product would win prizes and the wealth and influence of everyone involved would increase dramatically. Women have been producing such a miraculous substance, breastmilk, since the beginning of human existence.” – Gabrielle Palmer
22. “Imagine that the world had created a new ‘dream product’ to feed and immunize everyone born on earth. Imagine also that it was available everywhere, required no storage or delivery, and helped mothers plan their families and reduce the risk of cancer. Then imagine that the world refused to use it.” – Frank A. Oski
23. “While breastfeeding may not seem the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby.” – Amy Spangler
24. “If you have milk, you have milk, and if they’re hungry, they’re hungry.” – Salma Hayek
25. “When you hold a child to your breast to nurse, the curve of the little head echoes exactly the curve of the breast it suckles, as though this new person truly mirrors the flesh from which it sprang.” – Diana Gabaldon
26. “Breastfeeding is a mother’s gift to herself, her baby, and the earth.” – Pamela K. Wiggins
27. “It is only in the act of nursing that a woman realizes her motherhood in visible and tangible fashion; it is a joy of every moment.” – Honoré de Balzac
28. “Something as simple as better breastfeeding could save a million children a year.” – Anne M Mulcahy
29. “Breastfeeding’s worst enemy is separation.” – Dr. Nils Bergman
30. “Mother’s milk, developed through evolution with thousands of ingredients to build the human brain, body and immune system, is incomparable with a man-made product of a couple dozen ingredients that are non-human and in wrong proportions.” – Darcia Narvaez, Ph.D.
31. “My attitude is, if someone sees a little somethin’ somethin’, don’t look if you don’t like it.” – Kourtney Kardashian
32. “Bottles fill his stomach, but breastfeeding fills his soul.” – Diane Wiessinger, IBCLC
33. “Mother’s milk is, I think, a symbol of compassion. Without mother’s milk, we cannot survive, so our first act as a baby together with our mother is sucking milk from our mother, with a feeling of great closeness. At that time, we may not know how to express what love is, what compassion is, but there is a strong feeling of closeness. From the mother’s side also, if there is no strong feeling of closeness toward the baby, her milk may not flow readily. So, mother’s milk is, I think, a symbol of compassion and human affection.” – The Dalai Lama
34. “Mother’s milk is soul food for babies. The babies of the world need a lot more soul food.” – Ina May Gaskin
35. “Breastfeeding is a natural ‘safety net’ against the worst effects of poverty. If the child survives the first month of life (the most dangerous period of childhood) then for the next four months or so, exclusive breastfeeding goes a long way toward canceling out the health difference between being born into poverty and being born into affluence…. It is almost as if breastfeeding takes the infant out of poverty for those first few months in order to give the child a fairer start in life and compensate for the injustice of the world into which it was born.” – James P. Grant
36. “Who fed me from her gentle breast
And hushed me in her arms to rest,
And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
– Anne Taylor
Funny Breastfeeding Quotes
They say that laughter is the best medicine, and these funny breastfeeding quotes will definitely bring a smile to your face!
1. “I make milk. What’s your superpower?” – Author Unknown
2. “As a breastfeeding mother, you’re basically just meals on heels.” – Kathy Lette
3. “Breastfeeding should not be attempted by fathers with hairy chests, since they can make the baby sneeze and give it wind.” – Mike Harding
4. “Human milk is like ice cream, penicillin and the drug ecstasy all wrapped up in two pretty packages.” – Florence Williams
5. “People say, ‘You’re still breastfeeding, that’s so generous.’ Generous, no! It gives me boobs and it takes my thighs away! It’s sort of like natural liposuction. I’d carry on breastfeeding for the rest of my life if I could.” – Helena Bonham Carter
6. “If we wear our nursing covers backwards like capes, then everyone can see we’re breastfeeding superheroes.” – Cassi Clark
7. “Does breast milk come in chocolate?” – Author Unknown
8. “They do say breastfeeding is nature’s lipo.” – Ana Ortiz
9. “Don’t cry over spilled milk. Unless it’s breast milk, in which case, cry a lot.” – Author Unknown
10. “There are three reasons for breastfeeding: the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers and the cat can’t get it.” – Irena Chalmers
11. “My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard.” – David Allen
12. “Don’t bite the boob that feeds you.” – Author Unknown
13. “After we got home from the hospital, I didn’t shower for a week, and then John and I were like, ‘Let’s go out for dinner.’ I could last only about an hour because my boobs were exploding. When the milk first comes in, it’s like a tsunami. But we went, just to prove to ourselves that we could feel normal for a second.” – Emily Blunt
14. “If anything else woke up every 45 minutes during the night demanding to see my wife’s breasts, you kill it.” – Ryan Reynolds
15. “Breast milk is better than any udder milk!” – Author Unknown
16. “Though breastfeeding is supposed to be the most natural thing ever, it seems like a rich-people sport for all the stuff we buy to help.” – Cassi Clark
17. “Breastfeeding is nature’s health plan.” – Author Unknown
18. “When people say that breastfeeding is ‘free,’ I want to hit them with a two-by-four. It’s only free if a woman’s time is worth nothing.” – Hanna Rosin
Breastfeeding is a unique journey for every woman.
These breastfeeding quotes perfectly describe all the different aspects of nursing your baby, from how wonderful it is to sometimes feeling like you’re “meals on heels”.
Dealing with all these conflicting emotions can be hard but the experience of holding your baby close and feeding her more than makes up for it.
Finally, I’d hate for all the formula-feeding moms out there to feel excluded, so please know that there’s no shame in switching from breastfeeding to formula.
As long as your baby is fed, healthy, and thriving, that’s all that matters!
We love honesty! Find Your Mom Tribe is an Amazon Associate and we earn from qualifying purchases through affiliate links at no extra cost to you. Please see our full Amazon Affiliate disclosure for more information.