With the arrival of a new baby comes new titles for everyone in the family – from papas to aunts, all family members are likely to receive a cute upgrade.
When it comes to adorable aunt nicknames, you can find plenty that’ll describe this special person in your child’s life, her best friend, a second mother, and her life coach.
Truth be told, although everyone will be happy to meet your baby, aunts and uncles are usually most excited about meeting your precious bundle of joy.
However, some of the cutest pet names belong to aunts, the individuals who often become as important as a parent.
You know you can rely on her to take care of your kids (and spoil them rotten) whenever you’re not around.
The amount of love that an aunt can give is unimaginable and the special relationship your sister (or sister-in-law) and your little one have is something just the two of them can understand.
That’s why aunts deserve a special place in our hearts and some of the most adorable aunt nicknames!
Of course, uncles are equally important in your child’s life, but they have their own way of connecting with your child.
Aunts are more of a motherly/friend figure, while uncles usually try to act like their peers and be the funny ones in the family.
To show your appreciation for everything they do (and hopefully give them a bit of a chuckle), here are some pet name ideas I’m sure every aunt will love.
Popular Aunt Nicknames
Nicknames for aunts are a very important part of the special relationship aunts have with their nieces and nephews.
Some pet names like auntie or sissy are very common, and they’ll always stand the test of time, no matter how often they’re used.
Nicknames are usually given as a sign of love and affection – regardless of how popular some pet name is, it’ll still have a unique meaning to the person who carries it.
You can choose a nickname for an aunt-to-be even before the baby is born, as a way of announcing the big pregnancy news or just to tease her a bit before her niece or nephew arrives.
Here are some of the best nicknames for a future aunt that she will no doubt love:
2. Sister Mummy
4. Aunt X (first letter of her name)
Cute Aunt Nicknames
There are plenty of cute and cool nicknames for aunts that sound even more adorable when they’re pronounced by toddler nieces or nephews!
Kids rarely call their close family members by their real names because, from an early age, we focus on their family connection instead, such as mom, brother, aunt, grandma, etc.
However, as time passes, most children avoid the traditional names of relatives, especially aunts, and decide to come up with more unique names, such as Tootsie or Tinkerbell.
But, sometimes, a cute aunt name comes up as a happy accident, usually when a child mispronounces the aunt’s name or just calls her aunt by a name that sounds convenient enough for her like Nini, Bibi, Nana, etc.
These nicknames sound so cutesy and I’m sure any aunt would love to be called by any of these sweet pet names:
2. Mimi (for aunts with first letter M)
10. Aunt Pooh
11. Cuddle Bug
13. Lala (for an aunt named Laura)
15. Gummy Bear
16. Lady Bug
Funny Aunt Nicknames
The list of pet names for aunts wouldn’t be complete if there weren’t any funny aunt nicknames.
Kids are very creative with nicknames, much more than adults, and they usually come up with hilarious pet names nobody can get mad at.
However, some people might get offended if a nickname becomes “too funny”. If you aren’t sure the aunt in question would like being called by any “crazy aunt names”, you should probably skip that and warn your kiddo to avoid any silly nicknames.
But I think that the majority of aunts love cute and funny nicknames, especially silly pet names like these:
1. Real Deal
9. Wonder Woman
10. Sporty Spice
11. Big Time
13. Big Love
Nicknames For Aunts In Different Languages
Aunt is a universal term that exists in the language of every country and every culture.
However, the word itself changes and adapts to each language and its own set of rules.
Aunt, as a word, originated from the Latin word “amita”, translated as the “paternal aunt”. This was followed by the Old French expression “ante” which appeared around the 13th century.
The expression was modified shortly afterward to the Anglo-French version “aunte” that later became “aunt”.
The aunt has always been considered as the second mother, even in linguistics, because the Latin expression for aunt was actually a diminutive form of the word mother (Greek “amma”, Arabic “umm”, etc.).
Aunts may be referred to differently around the world, but the meaning remains the same. Therefore, you may use some of these translations as nicknames for aunts too, if you prefer unique pet names:
1. Tia – Spanish, Portuguese
2. Bibi – Indonesian
3. Moster – Swedish
4. Zia – Italian
5. Tädi – Estonian
6. Tetka – Croatian, Bosnian, Serbian, Russian
7. Titka – Ukrainian
8. Teta – Lithuanian
9. Tante – German, Norwegian, Danish, French, Dutch
10. Néni – Hungarian
11. Theia – Greek
12. Tiya – Filipino
13. Aintín – Irish
14. Shangazi – Swahili
Cute Nicknames For Uncles
Uncles love their nieces and nephews just as much as aunts do, although they might show their love in a slightly different way.
They are an equally important part of a child’s life, although they don’t necessarily show their affection in terms of cuddling.
They usually prefer to teach kids pranks, tricks, and practical things.
In any case, uncles are always there to love and protect the kids from anything bad that might happen to them in life.
RELATED: 76 Amazing And Funny Uncle Quotes And Birthday Wishes
That’s why they need to be known by a cute nickname:
1. Big (first letter of the name)
2. Uncle (first letter of the name)
7. Big Dog
Nicknames For Uncle In Different Languages
As is the case with aunts, there are numerous expressions throughout the world for the word uncle.
The word uncle originates from the Latin language as well. It’s a diminutive form of grandfather in Latin, but in Old French, it stands for the brother of the mother, “oncle”.
Here are other modern translations of this expression, which might be used as nicknames, too:
1. Ziju – Maltese
2. Stric – Slovenian
3. Zio – Italian
4. Unchi – Romanian
5. Uncail – Irish
6. Oncle – Catalan
7. Oom – Dutch, Afrikaans
8. Umalume – Zulu
9. Onkel – German
10. Ujak – Croatian
11. Amaki – Uzbek
12. Onu – Estonian
13. Tonton – Haitian Creole
14. Tio – Spanish
Why Are Aunts So Special?
The aunt is a very important part of a child’s life, it’s the one person (or more, if you or your partner have several sisters) who’ll protect and love your child just as much as you do while being way cooler than you.
Jokes aside, it’s wonderful to have a positive female role model in life, especially if you’re having a baby girl.
Children usually open up to aunts and uncles more easily than to parents, which results in a friendly relationship even during teenage years when your little one turns into a rebel.
Aunts can be considered as mentors to your kiddo. Whenever a child feels that she can’t share something with her mom and dad, she’s likely to talk to her aunt.
The main difference between a mom and an aunt is that, although the aunt has a motherlike role, she isn’t the mother, which is why the child confides in her.
Of course, that doesn’t mean your little girl doesn’t love you, but in her eyes, mom and dad are the authority that creates the rules which have to be followed.
On the other hand, the aunt usually doesn’t have a set of special rules, which makes her the cool relative that’s always ready for fun and games.
Aunts have that magical ability to make everything alright and to teach your little one some of the most essential things in life, such as:
• How to communicate with parents
• How to boost self-confidence
• How to deal with problems at school or in love
• How to admit when she’s wrong and deal with the consequences, etc.
Aunts are able to get on the child’s level and talk to her just like her best friend would, which has a great impact on your little one’s emotional and overall development.
First-time aunts are usually ecstatic about meeting their first niece or nephew and can’t wait to create that special bond between the two of them.
Of course, these statements apply to uncles too who also like to spoil their nieces or nephews.
How To Select A Good Nickname For An Aunt
Choosing the best nickname for an aunt shouldn’t be too much of a problem because you probably already know almost everything about her, including her likes and dislikes.
However, if you’re not sure whether your sister (or sister-in-law) will like a nickname you’ve thought of, the best way is to be direct and ask her if she likes it or not.
If you’re trying to think of a perfect nickname for an aunt-to-be, here are few things you should consider:
1. Her personality
Nicknames are usually given as a sign of affection, but they’re also a part of our identity.
The personality traits of our siblings or in-laws can be a good base for great aunt nicknames just like for any other pet name.
I’m sure your sister will appreciate this kind of nickname because it shows how well you know each other.
2. Tradition and culture
A person’s cultural background is an important part of choosing a nickname.
If your sister or sister-in-law is more of a traditional type of person, she’ll love traditional nicknames for aunts but this also means you should stay away from any crazy names.
Beautiful Quotes About Aunts
There are no words to describe the special bond between a child and her aunt, but these adorable quotes might be the closest description of that beautiful relationship.
Your sister has been your best friend since day one and now you’ve given her the greatest gift of all – the gift of becoming an aunt, a friend, and a teacher to your child.
These quotes about aunts, nephews, and nieces show just how strong their connection is:
1. “I have been called a lot of names in my lifetime, but Aunt is my favorite.” – Unknown
2. “The best days are the days where my nephews and nieces come and spend time with me.” – Unknown
3. “Anyone can be a sister and an aunt, but it takes someone special to love you as if you were their own child.” – Unknown
4. “My Aunt is the best. She is my cherished friend, my personal cheerleader, and my shopping buddy.” – Unknown
5. “An Aunt is a double blessing. They love you like a parent and act like a friend.” – Unknown
6. “Aunts and nieces are best friends forever.” – Unknown
7. “An aunt is someone special to remember with warmth, think of with pride, and cherish with love.” – Unknown
8. “I never thought being an aunt would be a wonderful experience until I had this little child shouting ‘auntie’ every time she sees me.” – Unknown
9. “She is not just my favorite Aunt but my role model. I want to be just like her when I grow up.” – Unknown
10. “Sometimes just being an aunt is pretty fun too. You can play with them for a week or a weekend and give them back to Mom and Dad.” – Sue A. Kuba
11. “I am forever grateful to my aunt because she taught me that it was okay to chase after my dreams.” – Unknown
12. “I want to be the coolest aunt in the entire world.” – Bailee Madison
13. “Aunts are angels disguised as beautiful persons who are ready to protect their nephews and nieces at any time of the day.” – Unknown
14. “Aunts are the ones who stand beside Moms when nieces and nephews enter the world.” – Karen Moore
15. “Happiness is a hug from my aunt.” – Unknown
16. “My aunt inspired me to go after my dreams every day.” – Unknown
17. “I am a proud nephew of an awesome aunt!” – Unknown
18. “I have always maintained the importance of aunts.” – Jane Austin
19. “The real ornament of an aunt is her precious niece.” – Unknown
20. “Only Aunties can love like a mother, keep secrets like a sister, behave like a true friend, and kick your butt if you need it.” – Unknown
21. “An aunt makes life a little sweeter.” – Unknown
22. “Many times aunties and nieces find amazing similarities in their tastes, attitudes, or even their appearances.” – Tamara Traeder
23. “Only the best sisters get promoted to being an Aunt.” – Unknown
24. “I was really lucky that I had an aunt who was very inspiring to me. She was different than anybody in my family on either side.” – Geena Davis
25. “Like auntie, like nephew.” – Unknown
26. “My sister is so lucky to have me, but I am luckier that she made me an Aunt.” – Unknown
27. “Becoming an auntie and having the opportunity to be in an active role as one, has been an absolutely marvelous opportunity.” – Tamara Traeder
28. “The best aunts aren’t substitute parents, they’re co-conspirators.” – Daryl Gregory
29. “My aunt is an inspiration to me every day.” – Sally Painter
30. “My mom, my aunt, and my grandma banded together and gave me a village of support when I was growing up.” – Michael Tubbs
Quotes About An Aunt’s Love
Do you have an aunt that you love very much? Then you know what I’m talking about when I say ‘an aunt’s love’.
However, this love does go through certain changes over time. It never weakens, but it becomes more mature, just like the child who is becoming an adult.
There may not be as much cuddling as before, but the relationship between them remains as important as it’s always been.
When children grow up, they finally understand the amount of love their family has for them and feel the need to show their love and support back.
These quotes describe the love between aunts and children during all these stages and show how strong this bond is:
1. “Happiness is being an Aunt.” – Unknown
2. “As your aunt, I promise to guide you, love you, and spoil you.” – Unknown
3. “Having an Aunt in my life is the biggest blessing to me. Her loving, helpful, giving, and caring nature is what defines her.” – Unknown
4. “I love my aunt! She has always been there for me whenever I have needed her.” – Unknown
5. “An aunt is a safe haven for a child. Someone who will keep your secrets and is always on your side.” – Sara Sheridan
6. “Nothing feels better than hearing ‘I love you Auntie.’” – Unknown
7. “As your Aunt, I will protect you with all my heart, my soul, and everything that I am.” – Unknown
8. “Cuddles and kisses, cookies and little treats, a day spent with Auntie is always incredibly sweet.” – Unknown
9. “One thing is for certain, aunties bring a little more wisdom, warmth, and love to every little life that they touch.” – Unknown
10. “Aunts have the biggest hearts and the most caring touch that they selflessly share with their nieces and nephews.” – Unknown
11. “The best part about being an auntie is when your nephew walks into the room and his face lights up when he sees you.” – Unknown
12. “I am my Aunt’s favorite nephew.” – Unknown
13. “I will be forever grateful for my aunt. She loved me. And she believed in me.” – Unknown
14. “I love my aunt. If she wasn’t my aunt, I’d choose her as my friend.” – Unknown
15. “An Aunt’s love is unconditional. Even when she has a family of her own, she never stops loving her nieces and nephews.” – Unknown
16. “Aunts’ hearts are made of pure love.” – Unknown
17. “Becoming an auntie is like finally meeting your soulmate.” – Unknown
18. “I will forever be thankful to my aunt for all that she has done and my love for her only grows bigger every single day that passes.” – Unknown
I’m sure you’ve found at least three or four adorable nicknames for aunts and uncles that you can’t wait to share with your siblings or in-laws.
These nicknames can actually be very helpful for baby announcements – just print them on a T-shirt, a cup, or write it on a cake and present it to the future aunt if you love surprising others like me!
Of course, if you prefer unique nicknames, you can think of your own pet name for the aunt-to-be, but just make sure not to overdo it, to avoid any uncomfortable situations.
In my opinion, the best nicknames for aunts are created when kids mispronounce their names. There’s nothing cuter in the world than a toddler who’s trying to say her aunt’s name which ends up as gibberish understandable only to her parents and her aunt.
On the other hand, uncles are also an essential part of a child’s life, just like aunts, but with a different kind of relationship.
Aunts will teach your little one important life lessons and uncles will be there to teach them the best pranks your kiddos will probably practice on you, so be ready!
Finally, the love between an aunt and her nieces and nephews can never be described in all of its beauty, although there are numerous wonderful quotes about this special relationship that you can share with your family.
I hope you enjoyed this article and that you found at least a few cool options for uncles and aunts.
However, if you can’t decide on your own, why not show them this list and choose the best pet names together – it’s better for them to choose their own nicknames than having to live with a nickname they don’t really like.
Like this post? Please share or pin it for later. You can also stay in the loop and follow us on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest.
We love honesty! Find Your Mom Tribe is an Amazon Associate and we earn from qualifying purchases through affiliate links at no extra cost to you. Please see our full Amazon Affiliate disclosure for more information.