There is a tradition between men with a familial bond, a tradition of passing the torch on as the so called head of the family.
This is more symbolic than literal in these modern times, but it still holds a great deal of meaning. It’s a sort of trust between men that goes from grandfather to father to son to the son’s son, etc.
The greatest gift and the greatest honor a son can receive from his dear old dad is when the father leaves the son to continue the legacy of the family name.
Now sure, all of this might sound more important than it really is, but between father and son, it’s something truly symbolic.
It’s like watching two best friends go out playing football, fishing, playing games, learning to drive a car and so on and so forth as they carry on being dudes, for lack of a better term.
So how can this relationship of father and son be explained properly?
Well, some people have managed to condense it into a number of father and son quotes, whether they are famous or not, it doesn’t matter.
What matters is that they were all either fathers, sons, or people who understood the bond.
Maybe these inspirational quotes will give your kids an idea of what to write in their next Father’s Day card.
The 115 Best Father And Son Quotes
1. “A good father believes that he does wisely to encourage enterprise, productive skill, prudent self-denial, and judicious expenditure on the part of his son.” – William Graham Summer
2. “Every son quotes his father, in words and in deeds.” – Terri Guillemets
3. “Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son.” – George Lucas
4. “The quality of a father can be seen in the goals, dreams and aspirations he sets not only for himself, but for his family.” – Reed Markham
5. “Every dad, if he takes time out of his busy life to reflect upon his fatherhood, can learn ways to become an even better dad.” – Jack Baker
6. “Tiger father begets tiger son.” – Chinese Proverb
7. “Good fathers make good sons.” – Unknown
8. “If there is any immortality to be had among us human beings, it is certainly only in the love that we leave behind. Fathers like mine don’t ever die.” – Leo Buscaglia
9. “He adopted a role called being a father so that his child would have something mythical and infinitely important: a protector.” – Tom Wolfe
10. “I think that my strong determination for justice comes from the very strong, dynamic personality of my father. I have rarely met a person more fearless and courageous than my father. He is a man of real integrity, deeply committed to moral and ethical principles. If I had a problem, I could always call Daddy.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
11. “My father believed in toughness, honesty, politeness and being on time. All very important lessons.” – Roger Moore
12. “Think about everything a real daddy does: pay the bills, buy the food, make your world a better, safer place. And what does daddy get for all of his work? The big piece of chicken. That’s what daddy gets.” – Chris Rock
13. “No one would be foolish enough to choose war over peace. In peace, sons bury their fathers, but in war fathers bury their sons.” – Croesus of Lydia
14. “There should be a children’s song, if you’re happy and you know it, keep it to yourself and let your dad sleep.” – Jim Gaffigan
15. “I hope I can be as good of a father to my son as my dad was to me.” – Calvin Johnson
16. “My father didn’t tell me how to live. He lived and let me watch him do it.” – Clarence Budington Kelland
17. “Never fret for an only son. The idea of failure will never occur to him.” – George Bernard Shaw
18. “A son needs his father in every situation he faces in the present, and a father needs his son at every situation he faces for his son in the past.” – Nishan Panwar
19. “When you’re young, you think your dad is Superman. Then you grow up, and you realize he’s just a regular guy who wears a cape.” – Dave Attel
20. “Lately all my friends are worried that they’re turning into their fathers. I’m worried that I’m not.” – Dan Zevin
21. “I grew up watching and learning from the ultimate partnership, and that is of my father and late uncle.” – Jonathan TischI
22. “I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren’t trying to teach us. We are formed by little scraps of wisdom.” – Umberto Eco
23. “No love is greater than that of a father for his son.” – Dan Brown
24. “The true character of a society is revealed in how it treats its children.” – Nelson Mandela
25. “I have no ambitions at all! I have none… seriously. I want to be a good father. I want to be a good husband. I want to be a good son, a good brother, a good family member. I don’t have any ambition to direct a film or write a play. I like acting.” – Pilou Asbaek
26. “From the first time the doctor placed you in my arms, I knew I’d meet death before I’d let you meet harm. Although questions arose in my mind, would I be man enough?” – Will Smith
27. “Son, there are times a man has to do things he doesn’t like to, in order to protect his family.” – Ralph Moody
28. “My father was my teacher. But most importantly he was a great dad.” – Beau Bridges
29. “Anyone who reads my work will see that there are often difficult relationships between fathers and sons.” – Salman Rushdie
30. “He followed in his father’s footsteps, but his gait was somewhat erratic.” – Nicolas Bentley
31. “Men should always change diapers. It’s a very rewarding experience. It’s mentally cleansing. It’s like washing dishes, but imagine if the dishes were your kids, so you really love the dishes.” – Chris Martin
32. “A man’s desire for a son is usually nothing but the wish to duplicate himself in order that such a remarkable pattern may not be lost to the world.” – Helen Rowland
33. “Sons have always a rebellious wish to be disillusioned by that which charmed their fathers.” – Aldous Huxley
34. “What goes on between a father and a son, which is usually such a private matter, is that they are able to be honest with each other, and be honest with me, as a director. It’s just remarkable.” – Lee Grant
35. “Every father should remember that one day his son will follow his example instead of his advice.” – Charles F Kettering
36. “Dads are most ordinary men turned by love into heroes, adventurers, story tellers, and singers of song.” – Pam Brown
37. “A man knows when he is growing old because he begins to look like his father.” – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
38. “A son is not a judge of his father, but the conscience of the father is in his son.” – Simon Soloveychik
39. “My father refused to spend money on me as a kid. One time I broke my arm playing football and my father tried to get a free x-ray by taking me down to the airport and making me lie down with the luggage.” – Glenn Super
40. “I love the comic opportunities that come up in the context of a father son relationship.” – Harrison Ford
41. “Of all the titles I’ve been privileged to have, ‘Dad’ has always been the best.” – Ken Norton
42. “Me and my dad used to play tag. He’d drive.” – Rodney Dangerfield
43. “Words have an awesome impact. The impression made by a father’s voice can set in motion an entire trend of life.” – Gordon MacDonald
44. “I felt something impossible for me to explain in words. Then when they took her away, it hit me. I got scared all over again and began to feel giddy. Then it came to me that I was a father.” – Nat King Cole
45. “I would want my legacy to be that I was a great son, father and friend.” – Dante Hall
46.“My father taught me not to overthink things, that nothing will ever be perfect, so just keep moving and do your best.” – Scott Eastwood
47. “Some dads liken the impending birth of a child to the beginning of a great journey.” – Marcus Jacob Goldman
48. “With sons and fathers, there’s an inexplicable connection and imprint that your father leaves on you.” – Brad Pitt
49. “Like so much between fathers and sons, playing catch was tender and tense at the same time.” – Donald Hall
50. “Remember: What dad really wants is a nap. Really.” – Dave Barry
51. “Fathers and sons arrive at that relationship only by claiming that relationship: that is by paying for it. If the relationship of father to son could really be reduced to biology, the whole earth would blaze with the glory of fathers and sons.” – James Baldwin
52. “As a father, my first priority is to help my sons set and attain personal goals so they will develop self-confidence and individual strength. Engaging in regular fitness activities with my children helps me fulfill those responsibilities.” – Alan ThickeI
53. “I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection.” – Sigmund Freud
54. “It’s a rare thing when a father and son can share the same experience. My father and I have seen all 19 Bond films together, two or three times.” – Rick Yune
55. “Daddies don’t just love their children every now and then, it’s a love without end amen.” – George Strait
56. “I’m so ugly. My father carries around a picture of the kid who came with his wallet.” – Rodney Dangerfield
57. “My dad used to say, always fight fire with fire, which is probably why he got thrown out of the fire brigade.” – Harry Hill
58. “What I’ve realized is that life doesn’t count for much unless you’re willing to do your small part to leave all of our children a better world. Any fool can have a child. That doesn’t make you a father. It’s the courage to raise a child that makes you a father.” – Barack Obama
59. “The fact my relationship with my son is so good makes me forgiving of my father and also appreciative.” – Anthony Kiedis
60. “The nature of impending fatherhood is that you are doing something that you’re unqualified to do, and then you become qualified while doing it.” – John Green
61. “My dad passed away when I was still very young, but he has taught me to treat others with respect and has taught me how to walk in his shoes. He has made me into the man I am today and it is something I will forever be grateful for.” – Unknown
62. “Anyone who tells you fatherhood is the greatest thing that can happen to you, they are understating it.” – Mike Myers
63. “When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant, I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.” – Mark Twain
64. “For rarely are sons similar to their fathers: most are worse, and a few are better than their fathers. Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad, and that’s why I call you dad, because you are so special to me. You taught me the game and you taught me how to play it right.” – Wade Boggs
65. “When you teach your son, you teach your son’s son.” – The Talmud
66. “Fathers and sons are much more considerate of one another than mothers and daughters.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
67. “We think our fathers’ fools, so wise we grow. Our wiser sons, no doubt will think us so.” – Alexander Pope
68. “It is a wise father that knows his own child.” – William Shakespeare
69. “There must always be a struggle between a father and son, while one aims at power and the other at independence.” – Samuel Johnson
70. “Someday you will know that a father is much happier in his children’s happiness than in his own. I cannot explain it to you: it is a feeling in your body that spreads gladness through you.” – Honore de Balzac
71. “For thousands of years, father and son have stretched wistful hands across the canyon of time.” – Alan Valentine
72. “My father had a flat rule. He believed that every man’s house was his castle. He had a flat rule: no man could come into his house without his permission.” – Thurgood Marshall
73. “Forget Batman: when I really thought about what I wanted to be when I grew up, I wanted to be my dad.” – Paul Asay
74. “The best way of training the young is to train yourself at the same time; not to admonish them, but to be seen never doing that of which you would admonish them.” – Plato
75. “Life doesn’t come with an instruction book, that’s why we have fathers.” – H. Jackson Browne
76. “A new father quickly learns that his child invariably comes to the bathroom at precisely the times when he’s in there, as if he needed company. The only way for this father to be certain of bathroom privacy is to shave at the gas station.” – Bill Cosby
77. “The most important influence in my childhood was my father.” – DeForest Kelley
78. “My dad is my best friend, my father, and my boss. When I do something that is exciting and he likes it, it feels three times as good as you can imagine.” – David Lauren
79. “Being a father has been, without a doubt, my greatest source of achievement, pride and inspiration. Fatherhood has taught me about unconditional love, reinforced the importance of giving back and taught me how to be a better person.” – Naveen Jain
80. “The greatest gift I ever had came from God, and I call him Dad!” – Unknown
81. “When my son looks up at me and breaks into his wonderful toothless smile, my eyes fill up and I know that having him is the best thing I will ever do.” – Dan Greenberg
82. “One father is worth more than a hundred schoolmasters.” – George Herbert
83. “One father is enough to govern one hundred sons, but not a hundred sons one father.” – George Herbert
84. “It’s a father’s duty to give his sons a fine chance.” – George Eliot
85. “A father is neither an anchor to hold us back nor a sail to take us there but a guiding light whose love shows us the way.” – Unknown
86. “The father who does not teach his son his duties is equally guilty with the son who neglects them.” – Confucius
87. “Becoming a father increases your capacity for love and your level of patience. It opens up another door in a person – a door which you may not even have known was there. That’s what I feel with my son. There’s suddenly another level of love that expands. My son is my greatest joy, out of everything in my life.” – Kyle MacLachlan
88. “A real man takes care of his kids no matter what the relationship is like with the mother of his child.It was my father who taught me to value myself. He told me that I was uncommonly beautiful and that I was the most precious thing in his life.” – Dawn French
89. “What was silent in the father speaks in the son, and often I found in the son the unveiled secret of the father.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
90. “My father used to say that it’s never too late to do anything you wanted to do. You never know what you can accomplish until you try.” – Michael Jordan
91. “Not every father gets a chance to start his son off in his own footsteps.” – Alan Ladd
92. “Even though I’m proud that dad invented the rear-view mirror, we’re not as close as we appear.” – Stewart Francis
93. “For boys, you want to teach them how to treat a lady; how to play football and how to handle themselves in the street.” – Rev Run
94. “My father never was and isn’t a mean man. You know, he never was ruthless. And he succeeded in life without sticking it to anybody. And that’s a great example for a man, a strong man, a man’s man, to give to his children. You can succeed, you can be successful, without walking over somebody.” – Maria Shriver
95. “Everyone talks about how we’re on our phones all the time, but the fact remains that when I’m away on a film set for two months, I can Skype my family. I remember the phone calls my parents had to make when my dad was away for a while when I was younger – that once-a-week expensive phone call! The time pressure of talking to your father!” – Domhnall Gleeson
96. “When a father gives to his son, both laugh; when a son gives to his father, both cry.” – William Shakespeare
97. “A father is a man who expects his son to be as good a man as he meant to be.” – Frank A. Clark
98. “Thanks Dad, for all those extraordinary lessons you taught me without even trying.” – Author Unknown
99. “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me.” – Jim Valvano
100. “A man never stands as tall as when he kneels to help a child.” – Knights of Pythagoras
101. “No man can possibly know what life means, what the world means, what anything means, until he has a child and loves it.” – Lafcadio Hearn
102. “It is not flesh and blood, but heart which makes us fathers and sons.” – Johann Friedrich Von Schiller
103. “My father and I made genetics history. We were the first African Americans and the first father and son anywhere to have their genomes sequenced.” – Henry Louis Gates
104. “My father makes money the American way. He trips over stuff and sues people.” – Dominic Dierkes
105. “My dad has always taught me these words: care and share. That’s why we put on clinics. The only thing I can do is try to give back. If it works, it works.” – Tiger Woods
106. “You don’t raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they’ll turn out to be heroes, even if it’s just in your own eyes.” – Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
107. “Perhaps a host and guest is really the happiest relationship for father and son.” – Evelyn Waugh
108. “Frank Capra was a prop man, I think. John Ford was a prop man. It was a little bit of a father and son thing, and you kind of worked your way up.” – Francis Ford Coppola
109. “If the past cannot teach the present, and the father cannot teach the son, then history need not have bothered to go on, and the world has wasted a great deal of time.” – Russell Hoban
110. “I am indebted to my father for living, but to my teacher for living well.” – Alexander the Great
111. “When he smiles, it’s as if he’s blessing us. We’re the parents and should be the ones in control, but he’s the little prince, and we feel like we’re waiting on him.” – Taye Diggs
112. “Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis.” – Jack Handey
113. “By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he’s wrong.” – Charles Wadsworth
114. “My dad might not be a superhero with some fancy powers, but he’s trying his hardest with the power he has, the power of a loving father.” – Unknown
115. “The heart of a father is always in the right place, even when he finds himself at a loss of how to proceed. It’s up to you to come and help him get himself back up because he has done that for you countless times.” – A son
The art of fathering
Sure, fatherhood might not be the same as motherhood, not the way we’re used to.
Fathers like taking risks, being somewhat reckless, allowing their children to explore new things in a ‘trial by fire’ sort of way.
I’m not going to lie, it tends to terrify me at times, but that’s just that overly developed maternal instinct of mine.
Heck, I even got scared when my children’s father slightly lifted the kids up when they were babies.
But over time, I learned that he knew what he was doing.
Don’t get me wrong, I still get nervous when he mentions trip ideas like rafting, but he’s just trying to introduce our kids to something fun.
He’s trying to help develop their taste for excitement and maybe have them pick up some new hobbies they can enjoy later when mommy’s stuck at work or for our next family outing.
Some moms might think “Am I meant to be jealous of the love a father gets?”. Not really. Especially not when it comes to the son.
Sons naturally like their mamma best. It’ll be darn hard for him to choose dad over you, even if you only do half the things that he might do.
I’m not saying us moms do nothing, far from it, but we get this natural advantage of being our kids’ birth givers, so the kids imprint on us like any cub would to their mom.
Dads don’t get this privilege – they have to work hard, they have to earn the respect of their offspring as weird as it sounds.
But all of it ends up being worth it in the end.
So, don’t let it get stuck in your head that you have to be better or one-up them, do things at your own pace and let dad have his space for what he wants to do.
Raising kids, whether they’re sons or daughters, is a joint effort after all.
Seeing these father-son quotes makes one realize that a father means to do the best for their son despite them taking a somewhat wayward route sometimes.
It’s because they have a harder time expressing what they truly mean, most of them anyway. It’s just how men are.
They will bumble around a topic until they find the best way to say it. Some can take months to say what truly is on their minds.
But it’s these ‘bumbling men’ who will do their best to strive to give their son a perfect childhood and to become the role model that they need, a guide for how to build their character up as they grow.
And I can tell you that it’s one of the most heartwarming things you can experience if you take your time to look at it from afar.
- 154 Father And Daughter Quotes Showcasing The Unique Bond
- 80 Parents Quotes To Celebrate Moms And Dads
This post contains affiliate links. Please see our full disclosure for more info.