A father-daughter relationship isn’t something to scoff at.
While most people relate daughters to their mothers, it’s actually her father that a little girl looks up to the most.
In our household, my husband is the favorite – not just for our daughter, but for our son too. He’s the one who takes our son fishing or our daughter shopping.
He’s the one who manages to magnetically attract all the positive attention with his charm and charisma. I guess that’s why I married him.
But really, it’s the dad who ends up being this rock – this role model for your kids – while moms are there to be the emotional support.
He’s the benchmark that’ll be used to compare your daughter’s first love and any others to come.
He’s the one who’ll ease her through the awkwardness of her teenage years, the one who’ll take her to father-daughter dances, and be one of her two life mentors.
It is a special bond, one that a father holds close to his heart.
Maintaining this bond is what turns a good father into an amazing dad, and it is the greatest gift they can bestow on their daughters.
A unique kind of affection that is a somewhat rare find these days since the media tries to repress a man’s more sensitive and caring side.
Luckily, that’s not the case here and among others who share this sort of view.
There are many different father and daughter quotes that hold powerful and meaningful messages fathers can use for inspiration when things get tough, or daughters can use as taglines for Father’s day cards.
So, without any further ado, here are some father-daughter quotes that best describe this wonderful ride of a father-daughter bond.
The 154 Best Father And Daughter Quotes
1. “The love between a father and daughter is forever.” – Unknown
2. “You’ve had me wrapped around your finger since the day you were born.” – Tim McGraw (My Little Girl)
3. “A father’s tears and fears are unseen, his love is unexpressed, but his care and protection remain as a pillar of strength throughout our lives.” – Ama H. Vanniarachchy
4. “The main reason why a daughter needs a dad is to show her that not all boys are like the ones who hurt her.” – Unknown
5. “When I’m at my best, I am my father’s daughter.” – Unknown
6. “Dear Daddy, you taught me everything I know. I’m grateful to God for being your daughter.” – Unknown
7. “A father is always making his baby into a little woman. And when she is a woman he turns her back again.” – Enid Bagnold
8. “I love being a girl because I’m my Daddy’s little girl and that rocks!” – Unknown
9. “I took my daughter to the father-daughter dance and I cried like a little baby. She’s 11 years old, so seeing her get dressed up and pretty made me cry.” – Kevin Hart
10. “Death is the only thing which can come between a father and a daughter.” – Unknown
11. “It doesn’t matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was.” – Anne Sexton
12. “The mark of a wonderful father is the one whose children run into his arms when his arms are empty.” – Unknown
13. “I love my father as the stars – he’s a bright shining example and a happy twinkling in my heart.” – Terri Guillemets
14. “It is admirable for a man to take his son fishing, but there is a special place in heaven for the father who takes his daughter shopping.” – John Sinor
15. “If you don’t want your daughter to settle for less, be not only an ideal father but also an ideal husband.” – Unknown
16. “Behind every great daughter is a truly amazing dad.” – Unknown
17. “The greatest thing a father can do for his daughter is to love her mother.” – Elaine S. Dalton
18. “I have never been a material girl. My father always told me never to love anything that cannot love you back.” – Imelda Marcos
19. “A daughter is a little girl who grows up to be a friend.” – Unknown
20. “When a daughter is born, an ordinary life of a man turns into an extraordinary life of a father.” – Unknown
21. “Little daughters are the only people able to soften the hearts of strong men.” – Unknown
22. “Certain is it that there is no kind of affection so purely angelic as of a father to a daughter. In love to our wives there is desire; to our sons, ambition; but to our daughters, there is something which there are no words to express.” – Joseph Addison
23. “I think my mom put it best. She said, ‘Little girls soften their daddy’s hearts.’” – Paul Walker
24. “In the darkest days, when I feel inadequate, unloved and unworthy, I remember whose daughter I am and I straighten my crown.” – Unknown
25. “My dearest Daughter. Just watching you makes me realize how beautiful my life is. I love you.” – Unknown
26. “A wedding is for daughters and fathers. The mothers all dress up, trying to look like young women. But a wedding is for a father and daughter. They stop being married to each other on that day.” – Sarah Ruhl
27. “Fathers, be good to your daughters. You are the God and the weight of her world.” – John Mayor
28. “A good father will really go mad without his little girl.” – Unknown
29. “Dad, you’ve always been the coolest – like all those times you said ‘yes’ when Mom said ‘no.’” – Unknown
30. “Any astronomer can predict with absolute accuracy just where every star in the universe will be at 11.30 tonight. He can make no such prediction about his teenage daughter.” – James T. Adams
31. “Not only is a father an example for a daughter, but a daughter is a great inspiration for a father.” – Unknown
32. “Having a daughter makes you see things in a different way. This is my only girl. So I don’t care what it takes to protect her. You can call it what you want to call it. As long as you treat her the same way I treat her, like my princess, I don’t mind.” – Tracy Morgan
33. “Our dearest daughter, you are the wheel that keeps our lives spinning and you are the reason why we are always smiling. We love you.” – Unknown
34. “All father`s problems have a very simple solution: It’s the happiness of his daughter.” – Unknown
35. “There will always be a few people who have the courage to love what is untamed inside us. One of those men is my father.” – Alison Lohman
36. “If you ever want to torture my dad, tie him up and right in front of him, refold a map incorrectly.” – Cathy Ladman
37. “Rocks nor sand, nor wind or rain, can keep me separated from a daughter’s love.” – Byron Pulsifer
38. “A father is a model for a small daughter. When she grows up, she looks for a boyfriend similar to her father.” – Unknown
39. “I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection.” – Sigmund Freud
40. “When my daughter says ‘Daddy I need you!’ I wonder if she has any idea that I need her billion times more.” – Stanley Behrman
41. “Being a daddy’s girl is like having permanent armor for the rest of your life.” – Marinela Reka
42. “This relationship has something special about it, that makes every father and every daughter in the world speak warmly about it.” – Unknown
43. “My daughter is my biggest achievement. She is a little star and my life has changed so much for the better since she came along.” – Denise Van Outen
44. “All my life’s problems have just one simple solution – a hug from my daughter.” – Unknown
45. “A good father will leave his imprint on his daughter for the rest of her life.” – Dr. James Dobson
46. “You have to be a reliable and predictable, loving and available father for your daughter if you want your daughter to have a happy childhood.” – Unknown
47. “Sweet sixteen today. She’s looking like her momma a little more every day.” – Bob Carlisle
48. “There’s something like a line of gold thread running through a man’s words when he talks to his daughter, and gradually over the years it gets to be long enough for you to pick up in your hands and weave into a cloth that feels like love itself.” – John Gregory Brown
49. “A father holds his daughter’s hand for a short while, but he holds her heart forever.” – Unknown
50. “A son is a son till he gets a wife; a daughter is a daughter for the rest of her life.” – Emily Giffin
51. “My Daughter, you are the answer to every time I looked up at the sky asking for a miracle.” – Unknown
52. “Remember: What dad really wants is a nap. Really.” – Dave Barry
53. “You have seen me at my worst, yet you think that I am the best. I love you, Dad.” – Unknown
54. “Dad, even a fleeting memory of your loving smile is enough to light up my darkest days. I love you!” – Unknown
55. “Every father decides what man his daughter marries: not ordering, but showing an example.” – Unknown
56. “My Daddy was my hero. He was always there for me when I needed him. He listened to me and taught me so many things. But most of all he was fun.” – Bindi Irwin
57. “You’ll not know how your daughter can love you until you demonstrate how you love her.” – Unknown
58. “You fathers will understand. You have a little girl. She looks up to you. You’re her oracle. You’re her hero. And then the day comes when she gets her first permanent wave and goes to her first real party, and from that day on, you’re in a constant state of panic.” – Stanley T. Banks
59. “Because death is the only thing that could have ever kept him from you.” – Ally Carter
60. “Fathers and daughters have a special bond. She is always daddy’s little girl.” – Richard L. Ratliff
61. “She did not stand alone, but what stood behind her, the most potent moral force in her life, was the love of her father.” – Harper Lee (Go Set a Watchman)
62. “It is not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us father and daughter.” – Unknown
63. “A father should be his son’s first hero, and his daughters first love.” – Unknown
64. “He was a father. That’s what a father does. Eases the burdens of those he loves. Saves the ones he loves from painful last images that might endure for a lifetime.” – George Saunders
65. “Big fathers, complementing their tiny daughters, are so beautiful.” – Unknown
66. “Watching your daughter being collected by her date feels like handing over a million-dollar Stradivarius to a gorilla.” – Jim Bishop
67. “A girl’s first true love is her father.” – Marisol Santiago
68. “Your father, Jo. He never loses patience, never doubts or complains, but always hopes, and works and waits so cheerfully that one is ashamed to do otherwise before him.” – Louisa May Alcott
69. “One of the greatest things about daughters is how they adored you when they were little; how they rushed into your arms with electric delight and demanded that you watch everything they do and listen to everything they say. Those memories will help you through less joyous times when their adoration is replaced by embarrassment or annoyance and they don’t want you to see what they are doing or hear what they are saying. And yet, you will adore your daughter every day of her life, hoping to be valued again, but realizing how fortunate you were even if you only get what you already got.” – Michael Josephson
70. “He sweeps her hair back from her ears and he swings her above his head. He says she is his émerveillement, he says he will never leave her, not in a million years.” – Anthony Doerr
71. “My fingers may be small but I’ve got my daddy wrapped around them.” – Unknown
72. “Every dad wants his daughter to grow up with dignity, self-respect, grace, humility, virtue, and significance.” – Darrel Billups
73. “All fathers are teachers of life: they teach their daughters what they can expect from men.” – Unknown
74. Me and my dad used to play tag. He’d drive.” – Erma Bombeck
75. “My life feels incomplete, my emotions deplete and my heart skips a beat when I don’t hug my daughter who is so sweet. I love you.” – Unknown
76. “The happiest moment of my life was probably when my daughter was born.” – David Duchovny
77. “When daughters have engaged dads, they benefit from that relationship for a lifetime.” – Kevin Leman
78. “No other love in the world is like the love of a father has for his little girl.” – Unknown
79. “The laugh of a daughter is the favorite symphony of a father.” – Unknown
80. “It was like we were exchanging codes, on how to be a father and a daughter, like we’d read about it in a manual, translated from another language, and we’re doing our best with what we could understand.” – Aimee Bender
81. “Nothing makes me feel stronger than knowing that I have a dad who’s got my back. I love you.” – Unknown
82. “The father of a daughter is nothing but a high-class hostage. A father turns a stony face to his sons, berates them, shakes his antlers, paws the ground, snorts, runs them off into the underbrush, but when his daughter puts her arm over his shoulder and says, ‘Daddy, I need to ask you something,’ he is a part of butter in a hot frying pan.” – Garrison Keillor
83. “Old as she was, she still missed her daddy sometimes.” – Gloria Naylor
84. “One of the greatest gifts I’ve ever gotten came from God. I call him Daddy.” – Unknown
85. “When I come home, my daughter will run to the door and give me a big hug, and everything that’s happened that day just melts away.” – Hugh Jackman
86. “A father’s job is not to teach his daughter how to be a lady. It’s to teach her how a lady should be treated.” – Unknown
87. “Hopefully we were all daddy’s little girl. He was and hopefully still is wrapped around our little finger. Not to take advantage of more just for the comfort of knowing he is there.” – Violette DeSantis
88. “Dad is and always will be my living, breathing superhero.” – Bindi Irwin
89. “My dear father; my dear friend; the best and wisest man I ever knew, who taught me many lessons and showed me many things as we went together along the country by-ways.” – Sarah Orne Jewett
90. “The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other’s life.” – Richard Bach
91. “The laugh of a daughter is a favorite symphony of a father.” – Unknown
92. “If you want your daughter to have only the best, you have to become the best father in the world.” – Unknown
93. “Be kind to thy father, for when thou were young, who loved thee so fondly as he? He caught the first accents that fell from thy tongue, and joined in thy innocent glee.” – Margaret Courtney
94. “Raising kids may be a thankless job with ridiculous hours, but at least the pay sucks.” – Jim Gaffigan
95. “I gave my father $100 and said, ‘Buy yourself something that will make your life easier.’ So he went out and bought a present for my mother.” – Unknown
96. “Blessed indeed is the man who hears many gentle voices call him father.” – Unknown
97. “When Charles first saw our child Mary, he said all the proper things for a new father. He looked upon the poor little red thing and blurted, ‘She’s more beautiful than the Brooklyn Bridge.’” – Helen Hayes
98. “My daughter got me a ‘World’s Best Dad’ mug. So we know she’s sarcastic.” – Bob Odenkirk
99. “Dads have the unique opportunity to influence, guide, and encourage their daughters to grow into godly and gracious young ladies.” – Karol Ladd
100. “I may seem quiet and reserved, but if you mess with my daughter, I will break out a level of crazy that will make your nightmares seem like a happy place.” – Unknown
101. “Daddy, thanks for being my hero, chauffeur, financial support, listener, life mentor, friend, guardian, and simply being there every time I need a hug.” – Agatha Stephanie Lin
102. “To her the name of father was another name for love.” – Fanny Fernfathe
103. “You can tell what was the best year of your father’s life because they seem to freeze that clothing style and ride it out.” – Dave Attell
104. “You brought me every single toy that I wanted when I was young. I hope I can return the favor when I grow up by achieving every single goal that you always wanted me to. I love you.” – Unknown
105. “No one in this world can love a girl more than her father.” – Michael Ratnadeepak
106. “They say that from the instant he lays eyes on her, a father adores his daughter. Whoever she grows up to be, she is always to him that little girl in pigtails. She makes him feel like Christmas. In exchange, he makes a secret promise not to see the awkwardness of her teenage years, the mistakes she makes or the secrets she keeps.” – Unknown
107. “When my father didn’t have my hand, he had my back.” – Linda Poindexter
108. “A father is neither an anchor to hold us back nor a sail to take us there but a guiding light whose love shows us the way.” – Unknown
109. “My father didn’t tell me how to live. He lived and let me watch him do it.” – Unknown
110. “My father died many years ago, and yet when something special happens to me, I talk to him secretly not really knowing whether he hears, but it makes me feel better to half believe it.” – Natasha Josefowitz
111. “When you’re young, you think your dad is Superman. Then you grow up, and you realize he’s just a regular guy who wears a cape.” – Unknown
112. “The reason I am bad at cooking is my father always appreciated the dish I prepared, and I believed him.” – Alia Bhat
113. “A man’s daughter is his heart. Just with feet, walking out in the world.” – Mat Johnson
114. “I smile because you’re my father. I laugh because there’s nothing you can do about it.” – Unknown
115. “A little girl giggles when she is denied an ice-cream by her mother. She knows Daddy will get her some later.” – Unknown
116. “My wife has brought great beauty into my life. And my daughter has brought me nothing but joy.” – Christopher Meloni
117. “A daughter is a treasure and a cause of sleeplessness.” – Ben Sirach
118. “I’ve had a hard life, but my hardships are nothing against the hardships that my father went through in order to get me to where I started.” – Bartrand Hubbard
119. “Many a man wishes he were strong enough to tear a telephone book in half — especially if he has a teenage daughter.” – Guy Lombardo
120. “You’ve been a blessing from the start… I love you daughter with all my heart.” – Unknown
121. “A daughter is a bundle of firsts that excite and delight, giggles that come from deep inside and are always contagious, everything wonderful and precious and your love for her knows no bounds.” – Barbara Cage
122. “The power of a dad in a daughter’s life is unmatched.” – Justin Ricklefs
123. “I think a dad has to make his daughter feel that he’s genuinely interested in what she’s going through.” – Harry Connick, Jr.
124. “Some people don’t believe in heroes but they haven’t met my dad.” – Unknown
125. “A Father is someone you look up to no matter how tall you grow.” – Unknown
126. “When fathers struggle with being authentic, they leave muddy footprints on little girls’ hearts.” – Tina Samples
127. “I may find my prince, but my dad will always be my king.” – Unknown
128. “On the day my daughter was born, I realized that the sparkle in her eyes was my guiding light and her smile, my life’s purpose. I love you.” – Unknown
129. “It is impossible to please all the world and one’s father.” – Jean de La Fontaine
130. “The smile of a daughter is the secret purpose of every father.” – Unknown
131. “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me.” – Jim Valvano
132. “My life is a fairy tale because it revolves around a princess – my beautiful daughter. I love you.” – Unknown
133. “To a father growing old, nothing is dearer than a daughter.” – Euripides
134. “There may come a day that I won’t be able to help you. But the day will never come that I won’t try.” – Unknown
135. “The reason why daughters love their dad the most is… that there is at least one man in the world who will never hurt her.” – Unknown
136. “Dad, I love you for all you’ve ever done for me. For being there when I rose to great heights, to supporting me when I stumbled and fell from them. I love you for reasons you might never know, for the choices you’ve led me to make that have made me a better person than I would have been otherwise. I love you for believing in me when others wouldn’t. You may have worried too much at times and you may not be perfect, but I couldn’t have asked for a better father” – Unknown
137. “What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family.” – Mother Teresa
138. “A daughter is a gift of love.” – Unknown
139. “A daughter needs a dad to be the standard against which she will judge all men.” – Unknown
140. “It was my father who taught me to value myself.” – Dawn French
141. “Fathers are the most ordinary men who are turned by love into the biggest hero, adventurer, storyteller and singer of songs.” – Unknown
142. “Dear Daddy, no matter where I go in life, you’ll always be my number one man.” – Unknown
143. “No one is able to make a girl a queen except her father.” – Arab Proverb
144. “Always your little girl.” – Unknown
145. “I love my daddy. My daddy’s everything. I hope I can find a man that will treat me as good as my dad.” – Lady Gaga
146. “It was my father who taught me to value myself. He told me that I was uncommonly beautiful and that I was the most precious thing in his life.” – Dawn French
147. “Dad. He can play like a kid, give advice like a friend, and protect like a bodyguard.” – Unknown
148. “I am not ashamed to say that no man I ever met was my father’s equal, and I never loved any other man as much.” – Hedy Lamarr
149. “I smile because you’re my father. I laugh because there’s nothing you can do about it.” – Unknown
150. “A daughter is the happy memories of the past, the joyful moments of the present, and the hope and promise of the future.” – Unknown
151. “Fathers, be your daughter’s first love and she’ll never settle for anything less.” – Unknown
152. “A daughter may outgrow your lap but she’ll never outgrow your heart.” – Unknown
153. “I am a princess not because I have a prince, but because my father is a king.” – Unknown
154. “There is this girl who stole my heart and she calls me Daddy.” – Unknown
It’s Not A Competition
Mamas, don’t get jealous when you see your daughter spending more time with her dad than you.
There are things only a father can do to help his little girl and there are things only you can do.
Accept that you have different roles to play in your child’s upbringing and that it’s not a competition, but a joint effort that’s meant to be fun, educational, and filled with love, care, and understanding.
It’s always best when you work in tandem with each other – that way you can share the love without stepping on each other’s toes.
Realize that fathers and daughters share a very special bond and allow them their own time.
They’ll thank you for it. Encourage it even.
Don’t make the same mistake that I had made when I was young where I didn’t spend enough time with my dad and have regretted it ever since.
He was the one who was there for me during my childhood and my teenage years, the one who saw me grow up, and the one who helped me in whatever crazy venture I decided to take.
The one who calmed me down whenever I was anxious about a date or an exam, the one who drove over half the state to see me graduate despite being swamped with work.
Yet, I still feel like I hadn’t done enough before he passed away and I regret it to this day.
This is why I implore you today, mamas, to not hog the spotlight too often.
Let them enjoy their time together. It’ll do both of them good.
While not as widely displayed as a bond between a mother and daughter because female empowerment is a mainstream topic, daughters should not be separated from a male role model altogether.
They play an important part in their lives and should remain as such, because fathers can be literal lifesavers.
- 115 Father And Son Quotes That Represent A Special Bond
- 80+ Little Boy Quotes About Your Handsome Little Man
- 80 Parents Quotes To Celebrate Moms And Dads
- 134 New Baby Quotes: Magical Quotes For Your Newborn Baby
This post contains affiliate links. Please see our full disclosure for more info.