When my oldest was born, I knew I wanted to raise her in a godly home. I wanted to teach her everything she’d need to know about our faith.
But where should I start?
I felt so overwhelmed! I mean, there’s a LOT to learn! And how much does a toddler understand, anyway?
If you don’t know where to start, just start somewhere.
Even if you don’t think your child will understand, just start.
Even if you’re afraid you won’t know the answer to all her questions, just start.
Don’t worry if your child isn’t interested at first. Be consistent and the interest will come.
4 simple things to teach your toddler about God
1. God made me
This one is pretty easy. Remind your child that God made him. Here’s how.
- When looking at photos of your child, say, “There’s (child’s name)! God made you!”
- When bathing your child, say, “Who made those feet and toes? God did!”
- Have your child look in a mirror and repeat after you, “God. Made. Me!” (It’s okay if your child isn’t talking yet. Approximations will work fine!)
2. God gives us food to eat.
- Remember to pray before each meal and thank God for the food you are about to eat.
- When at the grocery store, ask your toddler to label the foods she recognizes. (“Yes, that’s an apple! God made apples.”)
- Go strawberry picking in the spring so your toddler can see how food is grown.
3. God loves me.
- When you tuck your child in at night and say, “I love you,” add, “and God loves you, too.”
- Sing songs such as “Jesus Loves Me”.
- Remind your child, “God loves you just the way you are!”
4. God made the whole world.
- Read the creation story to your child. The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name is our favorite toddler Bible.
- Take your toddler outside at night and point out the beautiful stars and moon that God made.
- Go for a scavenger hunt and see how many things you can find that God made. (“Do you see that beautiful flower? God made the flowers!)
Want the “Things God Made” Scavenger Hunt? Get your free printable now!
BONUS! We’ve created this awesome freebie! Our Creation printable scavenger hunt is perfect for toddlers (and older kids, too!)
Download your freebie pdf HERE.
By the way, if you’re a Christian mom who desires a deeper bond with your child, I wantto introduce you to the e-book Jesus, Mommy, and Me: A 30-Day Devotional for Moms and Kids.
Jesus, Mommy, and Me is a devotional unlike any other; it helps you to spend time nurturing your child’s spiritual AND emotional health.
Each day you’ll speak affirmations to your kids, just like the ones above. This will foster a deeper sense of connection and help grow your child’s self-esteem.
Click here to learn more!
We love honesty! Find Your Mom Tribe is an Amazon Associate and we earn from qualifying purchases through affiliate links at no extra cost to you. Please see our full Amazon Affiliate disclosure for more information.