Normally I talk about the trials and tribulations of motherhood, especially as a single parent, but being a single father can be just as difficult, especially if you’re a new dad.
To that end, I thought I’d share some of those feelings with some single dad quotes.
Single dad quotes aren’t too hard to come by, but that shouldn’t really be a cause for celebration as that also means there are a lot of unhappy marriages.
In fact, 50% of marriages in America end up in a divorce and a good number of those people never remarry.
That’s quite a depressing statistic, especially if the child is abandoned by his mother, leaving only the dad to handle the growing up and parenting part.
However, not all tales about single dads begin with divorce, others come from an even sadder event like the sudden passing of the mother.
A devastating event, particularly for the single father and the children left behind.
However, a lot of these dads manage to adapt and become some of the best parents ever by taking care of their children’s needs every single day.
The same is the case with single mothers when you look up some single mom quotes, but more on that in the future.
As far as fathers are concerned, you’ll see many inspirational single dad quotes telling of their hardships, but also how their main drive is their kids, and even many son and daughter quotes about their single dads and how proud and grateful they are of them.
So, read on to discover what the life and feelings of a single father are like, including a few funny quotes that will leave every single dad laughing!
Proud Single Dad Quotes
You may think managing to accomplish all that parenting work would be the thing which makes a single dad proud, but in reality it’s all the love and appreciation he gets from his kids.
With that in mind, here are some of the best quotes for proud single fathers made by them or their children:
1. “I admire any single father because there are so many fathers who give up on their children, and those who stay, especially ones who do it alone, deserve a lot of praise.” — Anonymous
2. “If you’re a single dad, and an older sister of yours was influential in your life as a great role model, see if your kids can spend some extra time with her.” — Kevin Leman
3. “There’s no way I can care properly for my children if I don’t first care for myself.” — Tez Brooks
4. “The greatest mark of a father is how he treats his children when no one is looking.” — Dan Pearce
5. “When you were a little girl / I had dreams and I had plans for you / As a single father I knew / There was gonna be turbulence / Along the way.” — Lucky Dube
6. “Many single fathers also want to give back, tell their stories, and help others.” — Craig W. Baird
7. “I didn’t set out to be a single father. I set out to be the best parent I can be…and that hasn’t changed.” — Anonymous
8. “I guess there’s enough information out there to support that I’m a crazy, wild dude and rock and roll and this, that and the other. And there’s enough information to support that, you know, I’m a single father, that, you know, has been a pretty standup guy in his community and pretty private about that stuff. ” — Kid Rock
9. “You are the everything parent. You get all the tears, the joy, the tantrums, the hugs, the disappointments.” — Anonymous
10. “It’s rare you see a single father…that’s why I show my appreciation to the ones that are! Single fathers don’t get enough credit.” — Anonymous
11. “Being a single father is twice the work, twice the stress and twice tears but also twice the hugs, twice the love and twice the pride.” — Anonymous
12. “It takes a lot of heart and will to be a single father, so be proud of yourself.” — Anonymous
13. “Single father / Part time mother / When I’m not one / Then I’m the other.” — Kid Rock
14. “Loving my son, building my son, touching my son, playing with my son, being with my son, these aren’t tasks that only super dads can perform. These are tasks that every dad should perform. Always. Without fail.” — Dan Pearce
15. “The experience deepened my empathy and understanding of what it is to be a man and a feminist.” — Anonymous
16. “Being a single father made me stronger than ever before.” — Anonymous
17. “I’d rather be a single father, raising on my own. I’d hate to be a ‘part-time’ dad.” — Anonymous
18. “Always remember that by being a single father, you have chosen to live a life that is first dedicated to your children and then to you. You could have had it easy too, but you decided to be there for your children, so be proud of it.” — Anonymous
19. “It is not easy to raise a family. And it’s challenging for single fathers.” — Anonymous
20. “Single dads can also do their best jobs.” — Anonymous
21. “Shout out to the single fathers that have also taken the role of the mother. They don’t get appreciated enough for what they do.” — Anonymous
22. “I can’t tell you how much I respect all the single fathers out there doing it solo.” — Jennie Finch
23. “I’m a single dad. It’s totally normal for sons to feel weird with their mom’s date. Stepping in their dad’s shoes protecting their castle.” — Jason Filardi
24. “I didn’t set out to be a single dad. I set out to be the best father I could be…And that hasn’t changed.” — Unknown
25. “Single fathers need to find ways to adapt to their new circumstances, and they need to adapt fast.” — Craig W. Baird
26. “A single dad needs to be much more than just a father to his kids.”— Michael A. Klumpp
27. “A father who raises children on his own is nothing short of a hero. He is not only an amazing man; he is also the perfect role model for his children.” — Anonymous
28. “A single dad has to lead, provide, instruct, and discipline.” — Michael A. Klumpp
29. “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person. He believed in me.” — Jim Valvano
Comfy Single Dad Quotes
While most people think single parenting might be all doom and gloom, dads make it work with their upbeat and positive attitude.
They try to turn every situation into something positive, something they and their kids can smile about. This helps make things like daily chores a lot easier to manage. So, with that in mind, here’s some of their comfiest work:
1. “I’m a single father, I don’t like to be away from my son. So, I’ll go out, make a film and come back. Repeat. And it’s worked out very well for the last 11 years.” — Dean Cain
2. “It is much easier to become a father than to be one.” — Kent Nerburn
3. “Fishing is much less about the fishing, and much more about the time alone with your kid, away from the hustle and bustle of the everyday.” — Dan Pearce
4. “I didn’t plan on becoming a single father, but I know I am a better dad because of it. It caused me to reevaluate my priorities, it made me look at my life, and change for the better. To change for my kids.” — Unknown
5. “I think single dads try too hard to balance everything. Nothing is going to be perfectly balanced and the sooner you accept it, the better.” — Anonymous
6. “It is a widespread assumption that when a relationship breaks down, it’s a man’s instinct to run off and abandon his duties. But that’s not the case.” — Kevin Brazant
7. “Nothing a single dad does for his children is ever wasted.” — Anonymous
8. “Sometimes the strength of fatherhood is greater than natural laws.” — Anonymous
9. “The greatest mark of a father is how he treats his children when no one is looking.” — Dan Pearce
10. “Single dad or not, just remember that you are the best dad for your child, and you are doing the best you can.” — Unknown
11. “If there’s one thing I learned as being a single father is to never bash the mother to your kid. Keep them out of it.” — Anonymous
12. “In the end, I am the only person who can give my children a happy dad who loves them and loves life.” — Anonymous
13. “I can make the bacon, fry it up, braid some hair and catch the football game. All at the same time. I’m superman because I have to be. And it’s the highest honor of my life. I’m proud to be a single dad.” — Anonymous
14. “Being a single dad to a son is generally thought to be easier than being a single dad to a daughter.” — Craig W. Baird
15. “I didn’t want to be the dad that just didn’t know how to do my daughter’s hair.” — Greg Wickherst
16. “To all the single dad’s, I see your invisible cape and I thank you for being the kind of man every mom wants for her daughter someday.” — Anonymous
17. “I’m a single father. Does that mean I can celebrate Mother’s Day too?” — Anonymous
18. “I am a single dad. What is your superpower?” — Anonymous
19. “The hardest part about being a single dad? Fixing my daughter’s hair. She loves curls and being girly, and I suck at doing them, but I will keep trying as long as it makes her happy.” — Anonymous
20. “I write from the same place I parent, and since becoming a single parent, I have found it difficult, if not impossible, to write anything of length.” — Dirk Benedict
21. “Being a single father means you have to think fast on your feet. You must be judicious, wise, brave, tender, and willing to put on a frilly hat and sit down to a pretend tea party.” — Anonymous
Inspirational Single Dad Quotes
Being a single parent is hard work for moms and dads alike, and it tends to be pretty overwhelming at times.
That’s why it’s important to remind yourself of why you’re doing this and what the end goal is, to make sure that your kids are safe and have a happy home.
So, here are some inspirational single father quotes to help lift you up if you’re starting to give up or lose purpose. Hopefully they lift your spirits.
Oh, and there are a few Father’s day quotes mixed in there too, as those always tend to be rather uplifting:
1. “I am a single dad and there are 3 things the girls need to know: 1) I’m dating for keeps. 2) My son comes first. 3) You are not my son’s mother so don’t act like it.” — Anonymous
2. ”Nothing I’ve ever done has given me more joys and rewards than being a father to my children.” — Unknown
3. “Single dads are almost superheroes because there are few things that they cannot do. They are their child’s best friend and mentor while also taking care of countless tasks around the house. Single dads have superpowers indeed and they teach us that when you know how to prioritize, incredible things can be achieved.” — Anonymous
4. “Life as a single father has taught me many things. Particularly that love only makes everything easier.” — Anonymous
5. “You always have to carry on. And you can, because you have to.” — Kate Winslet
6. “I knew going in that being a single parent would be one of the toughest jobs I’d ever have. I’d been a talk-show host, actor, comic, and on and on, but this gig was going to be my defining moment.” — Arsenio Hall
7. “Just because I am a single dad doesn’t mean I cannot be a success.” – Anonymous
8. “If I didn’t spend a few years as a single dad, my son and I probably wouldn’t be as close as we are now.” — Anonymous
9. “Many of the single fathers don’t get to see their kids often, as more moms have primary custody.” — Craig W. Baird
10. “I’m a single parent, and I just found that it was too difficult to manage raising my kids and doing the traveling involved in making movies. So, I took a little bit of a break. And the little bit of a break turned into a longer break, and then I found that I really didn’t miss it.” — Rick Moranis
11. “I can understand why a single parent, working two jobs, would find it easier to stop at McDonald’s with the kids rather than cook something from scratch at home.” — Eric Schlosser
12. “Breathe darling, this is just a chapter. It’s not your whole story.” — S.C. Lourie
13. “Dating as a single father can be a challenge. You have to determine their potential impact on your child.” — Anonymous
14. “I thought about giving up…but then I remembered who was watching.” — Anonymous
15. “It takes a strong person to be a single father and take on two roles, you are amazing in your child’s eyes.” — Anonymous
16. “Being a single dad lets you discover inner strengths and capabilities you never knew you had.” — Anonymous
17. “Shout out to all my fellow single fathers who run on coffee and patience.” — Anonymous
18. “Being a single father made me stronger than ever before.” — Anonymous
19. “A single father has a backbone made of steel and a heart made of gold.” — Anonymous
20. “I’m always working, and I’m a single parent, so I don’t think I have time for stuff most normal people do.” — Charlie Murphy
21. “Happy Father’s Day to the single dads that are being both the mother and father to their kids.” — Sonya Parker
22. “A lot of people say, ‘Wow, you’re a single father of twin boys, that’s crazy!’ Two toddlers can get hectic, but I wouldn’t change it for anything. Every day they teach me different things. The love is there. When you have a two-year-old saying every other hour, ‘Papi, te amo. Papi, I love you,’ it can’t get better.” — Ricky Martin
23. “Just because you’re a man doesn’t mean that you can’t raise your kid. I think that families should stay together, but if you are a single father, don’t give up no matter what they say.” — Nicolas Cage
24. “The hardest thing that I had to do every day as a working single parent was child care, to have to leave my child with people that I did not know and hope everything was OK, that was the most painful part of every day.” — Chris Gardner
25. “A single father has to fulfill the jobs of two people. He has to do twice more work, having no one with whom he could share the burden of the stressful moments. The bright side is that he gets all the love and attention of his child and that he is always there for all the significant and heart-warming moments of her child’s life.” – Anonymous
26. “A good single father is one of the most unsung, unpraised, unnoticed, and yet one of the most valuable assets of our society.” — Anonymous
27. “Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad.” — Anne Geddes
What Do You Say To A Single Father On Father’s Day?
A good Father’s Day quote always works, but you don’t have to rely on the internet to tell you how to make his day.
If he’s your dad, acknowledge all the work and effort he puts in for you.
If you’re one of his friends, then congratulate him on how well his kids turned out and how big of an accomplishment he has made.
You can write him something honest and from the heart.
How Do You Cheer Up A Single Dad?
Some people think cheering up a single father might be difficult, but all you really need to do is show him that you care.
A gift, a token of your appreciation is the default, but I’m certain he’ll appreciate it if you volunteer to help him out with household chores or offer to bring a meal.
Even a card with one of these inspirational single dad quotes ought to work at least a little.
Being a single father isn’t a walk in the park.
Having to both provide for the family and cook meals in addition to all the other work around the house is pretty exhausting.
Honestly, I applaud all of you for having the will and persistence to push through with it.
When I had to juggle both work and parenthood I could barely organize myself and had to make big compromises.
But you’ve managed to make it work and are raising happy kids as you deal with the responsibilities of fatherhood and motherhood.
I’ll leave you with this, papas of the world, and if you ever start feeling overwhelmed, down or depressed with how things are, keep a few pictures of your kids around so you can always know who you’re doing it for.
Just like that scene from the Simpsons, with Homer’s youngest child turning an otherwise bleak message into a motivational “Do it for her!”.
I wish you the best of luck and hope that you manage to raise a beautiful family.
Until next time, papas!
We love honesty! Find Your Mom Tribe is an Amazon Associate and we earn from qualifying purchases through affiliate links at no extra cost to you. Please see our full Amazon Affiliate disclosure for more information.