This post contains affiliate links. Please see our full disclosure for more info.
Getting veggies into your kids can be a huge challenge. (Picky eater, anyone?) I’m constantly on the lookout for ways to sneak vegetables into my youngest kiddo’s diet.
Fortunately she loves sweet potato tots. I found some at the grocery store, but they had added sugar and some other questionable ingredients, so I decided to make my own.
The result? A subtly sweet tot with a hint of cinnamon and vanilla. The verdict? She loved it. (Yaasssss!)
They’re a little crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside. Perfect for little ones, even those with no teeth!
Sweet Potato Tots: Ingredients
In this recipe, I used sweet potatoes, zucchini, vanilla extract, cinnamon, hemp hearts, and almond flour.
The hemp hearts are optional, but I like to add them in whenever I can. They add additional protein, fiber, antioxidants, and omegas. The omega-3 and omega-6 they provide is oh-so-good for your child’s developing brain (and immune system!). Hemp hearts have a softer texture than a seed, and a very subtle “nutty” taste. The flavor is very mild, so you can’t taste them at all in this dish. I like this brand.
The sweet potatoes and zucchini provide awesome nutrients, and are rich in:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin K
Let’s get started making these sweet potato tots!
First fill a large pot with water. Add two sweet potatoes that have been washed. You can leave the skins on. Turn the heat on medium to medium high. Bring to a low boil and cook for about 25-30 minutes. You want these to be soft, so make sure you can pierce them easily with a fork.
Once done, remove the potatoes from the pot and allow them to rest a few minutes. At this point, go ahead and pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees. Cut the potatoes in half and scoop out the cooked sweet potato. Place the sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Mash them with a potato masher. I used my stand mixer with paddle attachment to mash them up.
Grate your zucchini. Using a clean cloth or paper towels, squeeze out the excess moisture. (This is an important step! Don’t skip it! Haha.)
Add in zucchini, vanilla, cinnamon, and hemp hearts, mixing well.
Next add in the almond flour, a little at a time. You may need to add 1/2 cup, or you may need to add a full cup, depending on the size of your sweet potatoes. (You want the mixture to be thick enough to easily form into tots without them losing their shape.)
Take a little of the mixture and form into tot shapes, using your hands. Line the tots on a baking pan that has been lined with parchment paper. Leave a little space in between each tot, like this:
Bake at 425 for 13 minutes, then turn them over and bake for another 7-10 minutes. (Or until desired crispiness.) TIP: If you have a dark pan, it may not take that long. Take a peek at them to make sure they are the right amount of crispy for you.
Allow to cool slightly before serving. You can eat them plain or dip with ketchup. My little one eats them plain.
How to freeze your sweet potato tots:
I love making a batch of these and freezing them for busy days. To freeze, allow the tots to cool completely. Arrange tots in a single layer on a plate, and place in the freezer. Transfer the tots to a freezer bag once they’ve frozen.
Recipe for Sweet Potato Tots with Hidden Veggies
Yields: Approximately 30 tots
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini, excess water removed
- 1 Tablespoon hemp hearts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup (more as needed) almond flour
- Boil 2 sweet potatoes in a large pot of water, on medium – medium-high heat. (About 25-30 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork.)
- Remove the potatoes from the pot and allow them to rest a few minutes.
- At this point, go ahead and pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the potatoes in half and scoop out the cooked sweet potato.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Mash them with a potato masher or in a stand mixer.
- Shred zucchini and remove excess moisture with clean towel or paper towels.
- Add zucchini, hemp hearts, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Add almond flour, a little at a time until mixture is thick enough to form into tots.
- Using your hands, form mixture into tots.
- Line the tots on a pan that has been lined with parchment paper, leaving a little space in between.
- Bake tots for 13 minutes, then turn them over. Bake another 7-10 minutes, to desired crispiness.
Enjoy! If you make these or have any questions, please drop me a line! I’d love to hear how it goes!
And be sure to share this with any mom you know who has a picky kid. Picky eater moms unite!
Looking for another tasty recipe with hidden veggies? Read this next: Protein-Packed Healthy Toddler Muffins (with spinach!)