Losing a mother can be a harrowing experience, one that’s likely to leave a lifelong impact on your life. It’s something that, sadly, many people have to deal with at some point, some a bit sooner than others.
When you have no words to describe how you feel, these missing mom quotes may help you describe your emotions, cope with the loss, and help you heal.
They might not be able to completely fix everything, but they’re a good way of knowing that you’re not alone out there, and a method of expressing your emotions to help you cope when the negative feelings resurface again.
All of those emotions, those reactions, are fully justified too because of the special bond that a mother and her child share for as long as they’re around, from birth to death.
It might be hard to deal with, but I do suggest using some of these inspirational quotes about motherhood to help remind you of the most important woman in your life.
There are plenty of beautiful mother quotes out there that are perfect for celebrating the lives of our beautiful mothers and everything they did for us.
I do hope at least some of them can help you out.
Love Quotes For Mothers Who Passed Away
A mother’s love lasts forever, just like a child’s love for his mother.
Even when she passes away, she remains in the heart and soul of her children.
If you don’t know how to express the way you feel after your mother passes away, you can look through these heartwarming missing mom quotes to comfort you throughout the grieving process.
Here are some beautiful quotes in loving memory of mothers, the most sacred institution of our lives.
1. “Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy.” – Eskimo Legend
2. “Mothers hold their children’s hands for a while, but their hearts forever.” – Unknown
3. “In life, we loved you dearly, in death we love you still. In our hearts you hold a place, no one else will ever fill.” – Unknown
4. “A mother understands what a child does not say.” – Jewish Proverb
5. “I cried endlessly when you died but I promise, I won’t let the tears mar the smiles that you’ve given me when you were alive.” – Unknown
6. There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” – Mahatma Gandhi
7. “There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues.
They are messengers of overwhelming grief and unspeakable love.” – Washington Irving
8. “Mom sometimes I wish you could come back, but I don’t want you to suffer again. I know you are with me and I will always love and miss you with all my heart. Until we meet again!” – Unknown
9. “A mother’s love is always with her children. Losing a mother is one of the deepest sorrows a heart can know. But her goodness, her caring, and her wisdom live on, like a legacy of love that will always be with you. May that love surround you now and bring you peace.” – Unknown
10. “Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart.” – José N. Harris
11. “Grief is like the ocean, it comes in waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm and sometimes is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” – Vicki Harrison
12. “My mother had a slender, small body, but a large heart – a heart so large that everybody’s joys found welcome in it, and hospitable accommodation.” – Mark Twain
13. “Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality.” – Emily Dickinson
14. “Sadness is not being able to give your mom a hug.” – Unknown
15. “A mom’s hug lasts long after she lets go.” – Unknown
16. “If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them.” – James O’Barr
17. “Mom, could you come back and stay a while. I want to hear your voice. And see your smile. I want to tell you how much I love you. I want to hold you tight and never let you go.” – Unknown
18. “No matter how prepared you think you are for the death of a loved one, it still comes as a shock, and it still hurts very deeply.” – Billy Graham
19. “I miss the warmth of your gentle hug and the love I felt when my arms were wrapped around you. I miss seeing your beautiful smile and the sound of your voice saying my name. I miss hearing you say, ‘I love you’ and me saying, ‘I love you’ in return.” – Millie P. Lorenz
20. “I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought, and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared their love.” – Leo Buscaglia
21. “What we have once enjoyed deeply we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes part of us.” – Helen Keller
22. “Mom, I am missing you today but I know that you will always be with me in my heart… I am who I am because of your loving hands. I have my sweet and compassionate soul from watching you and your generosity and kindness to others. I see the world full of wonder because of your imagination. I’ve learned to never give up seeing your drive and perseverance… I love you always and forever…” – Karen Kostyla
23. “I will never forget the things you taught me and how loved you made me feel. Mom, you are forever missed.” – Unknown
24. “Love as powerful as your mother’s for you leaves its own mark. To have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever.” – J.K. Rowling
25. “Losing people you love affects you. It is buried inside of you and becomes this big, deep hole of ache. It doesn’t magically go away, even when you stop officially mourning.” – Carrie Jones
26. “A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest.” – Irish Proverb
27. “Grief and love are conjoined, you don’t get one without the other. All I can do is love her, and love the world, emulate her by living with daring and spirit and joy.” – Jandy Nelson
28. “The world changes from year to year, our lives from day to day, but the love and memory of you, shall never pass away.” – Unknown
29. “I knew what it was like to lose someone you loved. You didn’t get past something like that, you got through it.” – Jodi Picoult
30. “There is no death, daughter. People only die when we forget them,’ my mother explained shortly before she left me. ‘If you can remember me, I will be with you always.'” – Isabel Allende
31. “We understand death only after it has placed its hands on someone we love.” – Madame de Stael
32. “Now I know why you always told me to be strong. You knew that one day I would need the strength to bear your loss.” – Unknown
33. “No matter what age … I’ll always need you mom.” – Unknown
34. “Mother, you left us beautiful memories, your love is still our guide, although we cannot see you, you’re always at our side.” – Unknown
35. “I’ll never forget all the good things you’ve helped me experience and I’ll never forget all the advice you’ve given me in life. Really miss you mom.” – Unknown
Mom In Heaven Quotes
When your mother dies, nothing makes sense anymore.
It seems like a part of you is gone forever and that death is the only thing certain in life.
It’s difficult to move on, impossible at the beginning, but plausible after some time.
Instead of giving in to sadness and being consumed by grief, let’s celebrate their life in heaven with beautiful quotes to brighten up our day!
1. “To my mother in heaven, thank you for always loving me and guiding me. Even though you are no longer here with me I can still feel your love guiding me. You are always in my heart. I love you and miss you dearly.” – Unknown
2. “I wish heaven had visiting hours so I could see and speak to my mom again. I miss her so much.” – Unknown
3. “Dear mom, I know you are listening from above. There’s nothing that I value more than your love. No matter where I am or what I’m doing, your memories will always keep me smiling.” – Unknown
4. “Mothers never really die, they just keep the house up in the sky. They polish the sun by day and light the stars that shine at night, keep the moonbeams silvery bright and in the heavenly home above they wait to welcome those they love.” – Helen Steiner Rice
5. “Mom, since the day you went to heaven, I have never been the same. I miss you more than words can say.” – Unknown
6. “Mom, I know you are watching and listening from up above in heaven. I hope I am making you proud.” – Unknown
7. “The day she had to leave me when her life on earth was through, God had better plans for her, for this, I surely knew.” – Unknown
8. “My mom might be in heaven, but she is forever in my heart.” – Unknown
Missing Mom Quotes
Our moms are our heroes, and when they’re alive we usually take them for granted because we’re convinced they’ll always be by our side.
That’s why a mother’s death comes as a greater shock than you could ever imagine.
A person can never get over the loss of a parent, especially their mother, but they can learn how to live with it.
Confessing that you miss your mom is one of the first steps of the healing process. If you don’t have the right words to make that confession, you will definitely find them in these missing mom quotes.
1. “Grief can be a burden, but also an anchor. You get used to the weight, how it holds you in place.” – Sarah Dessen
2. “I miss my mom so much. I would give anything to just hug her or to hear her say my name again.” – Unknown
3. “I hate visiting your grave because the words on your epitaph don’t do justice to the amazing person that you were. I miss you.” – Unknown
4. “There is something about losing a mother that is permanent and inexpressible — a wound that will never quite heal.” – Susan Wiggs
5. “Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.” – Rumi
6. “In Vietnamese, the word for missing someone and remembering them is the same: nhớ.” – Ocean Vuong
7. “Missing your mother and not being able to see her is the worst feeling ever.” – Unknown
8. “Those we love and lose are always connected by heartstrings into infinity.” – Terri Guillemets
9. “Time may pass, but not one day goes by that my mother isn’t in my heart. The day she died is not just a date on a calendar, it was the day my very existence changed forever.” – Unknown
10. “I should know enough about loss to realize that you never really stop missing someone – you just learn to live around the huge gaping hole of their absence.” – Alyson Noel
11. “My mother is a never-ending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune.” – Graycie Harmon
12. “Sometimes, only one person is missing, and the whole world seems depopulated.” – Alphonse de Lamartine
13. “Some days I wish I could go back and relive days with my mother. Not to change anything, but just to feel a few things twice.” – Unknown
14. “Those we love don’t go away, they walk beside us every day. Unseen, unheard but always near, still loved, still missed, and held so dear.” – Unknown
15. “But she wasn’t around, and that’s the thing when your parents die, you feel like instead of going into every fight with backup, you are going into every fight alone.” – Mitch Albom
16. “Missing my mom tonight. I have so many things left I want to tell you.” – Unknown
17. “I never fully understood what the words “I miss you” meant until I reached for my mom’s hand and it wasn’t there reaching back.” – Unknown
18. “You don’t go around grieving all the time, but the grief is still there and always will be.” – Nigella Lawson
19. “Whenever I am missing you, I also remember how fortunate I was that you were in my life. I wouldn’t trade those moments for the world.” – Cindy Adkins
20. “Grief can be a burden, but also an anchor. You get used to the weight, how it holds you in place.” – Sarah Dessen
21. “Hold dear to your parents for it is a scary and confusing world without them.” – Emily Dickinson
22. “I wish I had the power to take back every pain, worry, and hurt that I ever gave you. I wish that I could just undo all the moments that made you blue. I miss you mom.” – Unknown
23. “Anyone who doesn’t miss the past never had a mother.” – Gregory Nunn
24. “And she missed her mom very much, even long after she was gone.” – Unknown
25. “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you… I could walk in my own garden forever.” – Alfred Tennyson
26. “I miss having you share the feelings that linger deep within my soul; there is emptiness there where you once were. I miss you saying, ‘This is my daughter’ and the look of pride you held with each word spoken.” – Millie P. Lorenz
27. “Her absence is like the sky, spread over everything.” – C.S. Lewis
Heartfelt Mother And Son Quotes
The bond between a mother and her child is unbreakable, especially between a mother and son.
A mother is always there to support her son and encourage him to express his true feelings.
A lot of people say boys who have good relationships with their mothers become great men in the future.
Some men show their emotions in front of others for the first time when they lose their mothers.
Some tend to hide it too because society expects them to “act like men” and “suck it up” which only makes the feelings they’re experiencing at the time a lot worse. So much so that they tend to break a man if he has no outlet.
If your husband or a close family member has recently experienced the loss of his mother and you see him trying to keep it together, tell him it’s okay to show his emotions, to speak his mind.
It’s hard to say certain things out loud because once they’re spoken they become true, and the truth hurts.
Loss of mother quotes may give us the right words to reconcile us with the truth, words that may bring us the strength to deal with the loss of our beloved ones.
Here are some quotes that show the eternal love a son has for his mother, and vice versa.
1. “A mother’s love’s a blessing, no matter where you roam, keep her while she’s living, you’ll miss her when she’s gone. Love her as in childhood, though feeble, old and grey, for you’ll never miss a mother’s love, till she’s buried beneath the clay.” – Thomas P. Keenan
2. “Life has to end, she said. Love doesn’t.” – Mitch Albom
3. “My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute my success in life to the moral, intellectual, and physical education I received from her.” – George Washington
4. “I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.” – Abraham Lincoln
5. “My mother was the one constant in my life. When I think about my mom raising me alone when she was 20, and working and paying the bills, and, you know, trying to pursue your own dreams, I think it is a feat that is unmatched.” – Barack Obama
6. “All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” – Abraham Lincoln
Heartfelt Mother Daughter Quotes
Mothers and daughters are usually best friends during their lives.
Even though a lot of daughters have a special bond with their fathers, dads are always considered to be guardians and protectors who would give their lives for their daughters.
However, mothers are excellent listeners and the ones who always give advice and find solutions for every problem.
Also, daughters are usually mommy’s little helpers that are always by her side.
Losing a mother feels like losing a friend and the whole world.
However, instead of grieving for the rest of our lives, we have to come to terms with the grief and sadness we feel.
Here are some missing mom quotes for all the daughters who are left without their biggest supporter in life.
1. “No daughter and mother should ever live apart, no matter what the distance between them.” – Christie Watson
2. “My mother… had a very deep inner spirituality that allowed her to rebuild her life. It’s extraordinary that she had such a strong sense of self and such a commitment to the future and such a strong creative sense that she could build new worlds for herself and for us out of the total devastation in her life.” – Caroline Kennedy
3. “I don’t think of myself as a terribly confident person. But I have a survival mechanism that was instilled in me by my mother.” – Naomi Watts
4. “The mother memories that are closest to my heart are the small gentle ones that I have carried over from the days of my childhood. They are not profound, but they have stayed with me through life, and when I am very old, they will still be near.” – Margaret Sanger
5. “You were my home, Mother. I had no home but you.” – Janet Fitch
6. “I cannot forget my mother. She is my bridge. When I needed to get across, she steadied herself long enough for me to run across safely.” – Renita Weems
Happy Mother’s Day In Heaven Quotes
Just like our mothers live in our hearts even after they pass away, Mother’s Day stays as a celebration of their lives and makes us grateful for everything they’ve done for us.
Almost every mother is the best mother to her child even when she’s in heaven, which is why we mark this special day with Mother’s Day Quotes for moms who are in heaven.
1. “I send you rainbows, butterflies, and other signs from Heaven throughout the year. This Mother’s Day I just want to send you all my love.” – Unknown
2. “I miss saying ‘Mom’ out loud. I miss not being able to find that special card for you and then having found it, writing ‘To Mom’ on it for yet another cherished Mother’s Day.” – Millie P. Lorenz
3. “Happy Mother’s Day to my mom who is in heaven. Mom, I miss you so much each and every day. Wish you were here today.” – Unknown
4. “Happy Mother’s Day to the most beautiful angel in heaven, my mom.” – Unknown
5. “You might not be with us here in body anymore, but I know that your spirit will always watch over us, Happy Mother’s Day, mom.” – Unknown
6. “It’s been quite a few years, mom, I’ve grown up and become one too so this time we can celebrate the joys of motherhood together. Happy Mother’s Day, I wish you were here.” – Unknown
Mothers are our angels on Earth from the moment of our birth.
They are our superheroes who continue being our angels in heaven even after they pass away.
Missing mom quotes might seem irrelevant or cheesy for some people, but to others these quotes represent the words they’re not able to say out loud, words they wanted to share but didn’t know how to.
Actually, these words can also serve all those who’d like to send a meaningful sympathy card that will express more than just simple and formal condolences.
Life quotes about losses, disappointments, love, and life lessons can be seen on social media sites as well.
A lot of people share missing mom quotes to wish happy birthday to their mothers in heaven or to show that they have never forgotten one of the most important people in their lives.
Quotes about missing mothers might bring tears to your eyes, but they will also help you release your emotions and find peace within yourself.
There is nothing wrong with showing emotions through words.
Quotes are always there to help you express your feelings in the right way.
If you share any of these mother quotes on Instagram or other social media sites, make sure to tag them with #quotesmom, #quotesdaughter, #quoteslife, or #quoteslove so other people can see them as well.
We love honesty! Find Your Mom Tribe is an Amazon Associate and we earn from qualifying purchases through affiliate links at no extra cost to you. Please see our full Amazon Affiliate disclosure for more information.