Feeling anxious about childbirth? Worry not because here is a list of the most inspiring and empowering birth quotes to help you prepare for delivery!
Becoming a mother is one of the most beautiful things in the world and at the same time, it can be really challenging – both mentally and physically.
When you’re thinking about childbirth, you might feel anxious and nervous about the whole process (especially if it is your first time). Luckily, these empowering birth quotes will help you relax and prepare for delivery.
Of course, every childbirth is a unique experience in itself, but hearing other mothers’ birth stories can help you prepare for your own and inspire you to embrace your strength.
After all, we are all here to help and support each other. Other moms’ experiences and encouraging words will show you that you can do it too and that you’re just as capable of giving birth as any other mother!
Without further ado, let’s dive into the sea of encouraging words about giving birth and arm ourselves with positive thoughts!
Inspirational Quotes About Giving Birth
1. “We have a secret in our culture, and it’s not that birth is painful. It’s that women are strong.” – Laura Stavoe Harm
2. “Birthing is the most profound initiation to spirituality a woman can have.” – Robin Lim
3. “Labor is also teamwork. It is a mother and baby learning together how to push and how to be born, how to yield and separate from the union of pregnancy. You are not in control nor are you out of control during labor. The best way to approach labor is with an attitude of learning rather than controlling.” – Gayle Peterson
4. “Birth is a rite of passage of women. Their journey should be honored, their rights should be fiercely protected, and their stories should be shared.” – Marcie Macari
5. “There are no words that can describe the euphoria you feel when your baby recognizes you for the first time and smiles.” – Jared Padalecki
6. “Birth is the sudden opening of a window, through which you look out upon a stupendous prospect. For what has happened? A miracle. You have exchanged nothing for the possibility of everything.” – William MacNeile Dixon
7. “There is such a special sweetness in being able to participate in creation.” – Pamela S. Nadav
8. “The wisdom and compassion a woman can intuitively experience in childbirth can make her a source of healing and understanding for other women.” – Stephen Gaskin
9. “There is power that comes to women when they give birth. They don’t ask for it, it simply invades them. Accumulates like clouds on the horizon and passes through, carrying the child with it.” – Sheryl Feldman
10. “The major role that the body’s natural oxytocin plays in birth encourages the idea that birth is an experience of love… Birth is a spiritual experience simply because it is largely an act of love on the part of the body physiology and the indwelling spirit.” – Cathy Daub
11. “Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one.” – Gloria Steinem
12. “Giving birth to your child doesn’t only give you a cute little baby to love for the rest of your life but it also strengthens your bond with your husband as a couple.” – Unknown
13. “Giving birth in ecstasy: This is our birthright and our body’s intent. Mother Nature, in her wisdom, prescribes birthing hormones that take us outside (ec) our usual state (stasis), so that we can be transformed on every level as we enter motherhood.” – Sarah Buckley
14. “Birth isn’t something we suffer, but something we actively do and exult in.” – Sheila Kitzinger
15. “Birth is an experience that demonstrates that life is not merely function and utility, but form and beauty.” – Christopher Largen
16. “The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.” – Rajneesh
17. “Attending births is like growing roses. You have to marvel at the ones that just open up and bloom at the first kiss of the sun but you wouldn’t dream of pulling open the petals of the tightly closed buds and forcing them to blossom to your time line.” – Gloria Lemay
18. “Birth is an opportunity to transcend. To rise above what we are accustomed to, reach deeper inside ourselves than we are familiar with, and to see not only what we are truly made of, but the strength we can access in and through birth.” – Marcie Macari
19. “If we want to find safe alternatives to obstetrics, we must rediscover midwifery. To rediscover midwifery is the same as giving back childbirth to women. And imagine the future if surgical teams were at the service of the midwives and the women instead of controlling them.” – Michel Odent
20. “The birth of a child is a joy to the parent and the world.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
21. “Birth is a mystery. Words are not enough.” – Marie O’Connor
22. “When enough women realize that birth is a time of great opportunity to get in touch with their true power, and when they are willing to assume responsibility for this, we will reclaim the power of birth and help move technology where it belongs – in the service of birthing women, not their master.” – Christiane Northrup
23. “A woman in birth is at once her most powerful, and most vulnerable. But any woman who has birthed unhindered understands that we are stronger than we know.” – Marcie Macari
24. “So the question remains. Is childbirth painful? Yes. It can be, along with a thousand amazing sensations for which we have yet to find adequate language. Every birth is different, and every woman’s experience and telling of her story will be unique.” – Marcie Macari
25. “The day of birth is a sacred day.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
26. “All natural birth has a purpose and a plan; who would think of tearing open the chrysalis as the butterfly is emerging? Who would break the shell to pull the chick out?” – Marie Mongon
27. “To celebrate the birth of new life, is to appreciate the miraculous work of the Creator.” – Wayne Chirisa
28. “Giving birth to your first child is the closest you can ever come to doing magic.” – Unknown
29. “Having your first child feels like smelling the lilies from a spiritual garden.” – Unknown
30. “A woman who has just given birth to her first child is like an angel sent to Earth by God to shower a newborn baby with pure love and affection.” – Unknown
31. “Carrying her first child is the biggest reward that God can give to a woman.” – Unknown
32. “You will never know the amount of love you can give to somebody until you give birth to your first child.” – Unknown
33. “Your firstborn baby’s arms are the most precious jewel you can ever have hanging around your neck.” – Unknown
34. “You start understanding life once a baby starts to grow inside your belly.” – Unknown
35. “If you don’t believe in love at first sight, wait until you give birth to your first baby.” – Unknown
36. “Every newborn baby is its mother’s definition of perfect.” – Unknown
37. “I am pretty sure that the day I gave birth to my first child, angels clapped and the moon danced with the stars.” – Unknown
38. “If I have to pick the best day of my life, it will be the day I gave birth to my first child without any second thoughts.” – Unknown
39. “The first breath of every child takes away the breath of its parents.” – Unknown
Motivational Birth Quotes
1. “Birth is the epicenter of women’s power.” – Ani DiFranco
2. “Birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers.” – Anita Diamant
3. “Let choice whisper in your ear and love murmur in your heart. Be ready. Here comes life.” – Maya Angelou
4. “The whole point of woman-centered birth is the knowledge that a woman is the birth power source. She may need, and deserve, help, but in essence, she always had, currently has, and will have the power.” – Heather McCue
5. “Remember this, for it is as true as true gets: Your body is not a lemon. You are not a machine. The Creator is not a careless mechanic. Human female bodies have the same potential to give birth well as aardvarks, lions, rhinoceri, elephants, moose, and water buffalo. Even if it has not been your habit throughout your life so far, I recommend that you learn to think positively about your body.” – Ina May Gaskin
6. “Women are strong, strong, terribly strong. We don’t know how strong until we’re pushing out our babies.” – Louise Erdrich
7. “I had a C-section and I found it fascinating. I didn’t find it a sacrifice and I didn’t find it a painful experience. I found it a fascinating miracle of what a body can do.” – Angelina Jolie
8. “We know that birth takes a woman from one place in her life to another. The birth of a child certainly does change her viewpoint of herself and I believe her viewpoint of the world.” – Sameerah Shareef
9. “The instant of birth is exquisite. Pain and joy are one at this moment. Ever after, the dim recollection is so sweet that we speak to our children with a gratitude they never understand.” – Madline Tiger
10. “Keeping active during labour and adopting natural, upright or crouching birth positions is the safest, most enjoyable, most economical and sensible way for the majority of women to give birth.” – Janet Balaskas
11. “…Respecting the woman as an important and valuable human being and making certain that the woman’s experience while giving birth is fulfilling and empowering is not just a nice extra, it is absolutely essential as it makes the woman strong and therefore makes society strong.” – Marsden Wagner
12. “Birth matters. It brings us into being, on many levels.” – Ananda Lowe
13. “Giving birth should be your greatest achievement not your greatest fear.” – Jane Weideman
14. “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” – Annie Kennedy and Penny Simkin
15. “A strong intention, a relaxed body and an open mind are the main ingredients for an active birth.” – Janet Balaskas
16. “Birth is a three legged stool, a healthy mom, a healthy baby and a healthy birth. Without ANY one leg, it is equally unstable!” – Sharon Muza
17. “The purpose exceeds the pain.” – Beth Moore
18. “Giving birth is a transformation and it doesn’t matter whether you’ve had eight babies before. It’s still a transformation the next time you have another baby, because you are no longer the same woman you were before you had that baby.” – Penny Handford
19. “Childbirth is an experience in a woman’s life that holds the power to transform her forever. Passing through these powerful gates – in her own way – remembering all the generations of women who walk with her… She is never alone.” – Suzanne Arms
20. “Birth is as safe as life gets.” – Harriette Hartigan
21. “The power and intensity of your contractions cannot be stronger than you, because it is you.” – Unknown
22. “Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers – strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.” – Barbara Katz Rothman
23. “In giving birth to our babies, we may find that we give birth to new possibilities within ourselves.” – Myla and Jon Kabat-Zinn
24. “When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change.” – Marie F. Mongan
25. “Just as a woman’s heart knows how and when to pump, her lungs to inhale, and her hand to pull back from fire, so she knows when and how to give birth.” – Virginia DiOrio
26. “Birth is about radical, creative, life-affirming change. It is about adaptation on a nearly unbelievable scale.” – Mark Sloan
27. “The knowledge of how to give birth without outside interventions lies deep within each woman.” – Suzanne Arms
28. “How you approach birth is intimately connected with how you approach life.” – William Sears
29. “Birth is a beautiful thing.” – Julian Casablancas
30. “It seems that many health professionals involved in antenatal care have not realized that one of their roles should be to protect the emotional state of pregnant women.” – Michel Odent
31. “No woman should ever feel guilty about the choices she makes regarding childbirth, breastfeeding, or the manner in which she cares for her baby.” – Amy Tuteur
32. “Learn to respect this sacred moment of birth, as fragile, as fleeting, as elusive as dawn.” – Frederick Leboyer
33. “A new baby is like the beginning of all things – wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities.” – Eda J. Le Shan
34. “I have a 14-month-old daughter. I had a lot of help in my birth. I had a home birth, and she was almost 10 pounds and did not want to come out. … We needed like a team of doulas at my birth, which I had, luckily.” – Gaby Hoffmann
35. “Newborn babies are like little Suns. They bring light and warmth into your life.” – Unknown
36. “Every newborn baby is a signal from God that life should keep going on.” – Unknown
37. “Having your first baby changes your life in ways that you can never even dream of.” – Unknown
38. “A newborn baby is the beginning of a dream of possibilities.” – Unknown
39. “Your firstborn baby may only hold your hand for a little while but it will hold your heart for the rest of your life.” – Unknown
40. “Nobody can possibly define the euphoria that you feel when your firstborn baby recognizes you for the very first time.” – Unknown
41. “A newborn baby is like a tiny piece of heaven sent from God.” – Unknown
42. “Childbirth is both a physical and spiritual achievement. It’s the ultimate perfection of human love.” – Unknown
Son Birth Quotes
1. “Heaven on earth is looking at my little boy. The minute he was born, I knew if I never did anything other than being a mom, I’d be fine.” – Jenny McCarthy
2. “Sons are the anchors of a mother’s life.” – Sophocles
3. “A baby boy has a special way of bringing out the man in his father and the little boy in his grandfather.” – Tanya Masse
4. ”Mother is her son’s first God. She must teach him the most important lesson of all – how to love.” – T. F. Hodge
5. “And she loved a little boy very, very much, even more than she loved herself.” – Shel Silverstein
6. “To be a mother of a son is one of the most important things you can do to change the world. Raise them to respect women, raise them to stand up for others, raise them to be kind.” – Shannon L. Alder
7. “If I have a monument in this world, it is my son.” – Maya Angelou
8. “There is an enduring tenderness in the love of a mother to a son that transcends all other affections of the heart.” – Washington Irving
9. “Sons are born to make their fathers better men.” – Mekael Shane
10. “The most important mark I will leave on this world is my son.” – Sarah Shahi
11. “A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest.” – Irish proverb
Daughter Birth Quotes
1. “No daughter and mother ever live apart, no matter what the distance between them.” – Christie Watson
2. “A daughter is one of the best gifts this world has to give.” – Laurel Atherton
3. “Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts. That’s what little girls are made of.” – Bethany Hamilton
4. “Mothers of daughters are daughters of mothers and have remained so, in circles joined to circles, since time began.” – Signe Hammer
5. “A mother teaches her daughter how to feel about herself, about handling pressure, about relishing life’s joys and conquering fears.” – Melissa Harrison
6. “Mothers and daughters together are a powerful force to be reckoned with.” – Melia Keeton-Digby
7. “Words are not enough to express the unconditional love that exists between a mother and a daughter.” – Caitlin Houston
8. “A daughter is a mother’s gender partner, her closest ally in the family confederacy, an extension of herself. And mothers are their daughters’ role model, their biological and emotional road map, the arbiter of all their relationships.” – Victoria Secunda
Funny Birth Quotes
1. “Very new things and very old things are much alike. Everything is a circle. Both ends meet. There is nothing much older or more wrinkled-looking than a baby just born.” – Monica Shannon
2. “Giving birth is little more than a set of muscular contractions granting passage of a child. Then the mother is born.” – Erma Bombeck
3. “Having a baby is like having an eight-pound to-do list. Every moment of the day is filled with something to feed, wipe, bathe, or put down.” – Kathleen Laccinole
4. “Some babies are sweet and pink as peaches; / others are wrinkled, and scream like herons; / dispositions not optional / all sales final.” – Barbara Crooker
5. “A baby is an inestimable blessing and bother.” – Mark Twain
6. “A baby is a blank check made payable to the human race.” – Barbara Christine Seifert
7. “Having a baby is like taking your lower lip and forcing it over your head.” – Carol Burnett
8. “The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants.” – Johnny Depp
9. “Babies are always more trouble than you thought and more wonderful.” – Charles Osgood
10. “Although there are many trial marriages there is no such thing as a trial child.” – Gail Sheehy
• I feel blessed and happy that I will finally meet my baby.
• My mind and body are completely relaxed.
• I’m feeling relaxed and putting all fears aside as I look forward to delivery.
• I feel confident, strong, and brave.
• My delivery will be easy and have no complications.
• I feel confident going through each birth stage.
• My baby is healthy and strong just as I am.
• I trust my intuition.
• I trust that my body was designed for delivery and it knows what to do.
• I can feel my baby moving down smoothly.
• I feel my body and mind filled with positivity.
• Birth is the ultimate act of unconditional love.
• I’m proud of myself, my body, and my baby.
• With each surge, I’m closer to meeting my baby.
• I feel beautiful and inspired both inside and out.
• I focus on breathing and I know that everything will be just fine.
• I can do it!
Giving Birth Will Be The Most Inspiring And Beautiful Thing That You Will Ever Experience!!
No matter how you’re feeling at the moment, know that your delivery will be the most beautiful thing you will ever experience. After all, you’re bringing new life into the world which is truly one of the most amazing things in someone’s life.
This post contains affiliate links. Please see our full disclosure for more info.